• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Buttered Rum

Abra

I have a craving for that old fashioned and probably passe drink, hot buttered rum. Actually, I'd like to serve it to guests over the holiday. I've searched all the threads that might pertain, but get mainly passing references and offsite links. Is it that nobody drinks it, or that it's so easy to make that no recipe thread is deemed worthy?

Please, if you have a really excellent recipe, be so kind as to post it here, for me, and for future HBR seekers. And by the way, I have 10 Cane and Gosling's Black Seal. Which would be better to use in such a sweetened concoction? I have good butter, too, being more of a cook than a mixologist.

Or if you have some mind-blowingly even better hot rum drink, I'd love to hear about that too.

I haven't made hot buttered rum with either of those rums, but I've drunk them both and my instinct would be to use the Gosling.

I love hot buttered rum, especially in very cold weather (which we aren't getting here right now). This is the recipe I use -- I probably found it on the internet (which is also full of recipes using ice cream...):

For two large mugs (most of my mugs are the large mugs from CafePress):

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons butter at room temperature

dash of salt (I leave this out if the butter I'm using is especially salty)

spices to taste -- usually I use Penzey's baking spice, sometimes just a dash of cloves or ginger

Cream ingredients together while bring water almost to a boil. Divide in half between the two mugs, add hot water, and pour in 3 ounces of rum per mug, stirring until everything is incorporated.

I made this for the first time a few weeks ago, I just kind of improvised as I went but it came out amazing:

2 oz Appleton 12 yr

tsp-1/4 oz pimento dram

2 sugar cubes

pour in heated mug and top with hot water, pat of butter on top (I guess, not quite sure what purpose it really served, just kind of made it oily to me).

The aroma that fills the room when that hot water hits the allspice is amazing. Yum

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Right now I'm leaning toward this recipe, which seems basic but good, using the Gosling's. Feel free to steer me in another direction, except the ice cream one, because I am NOT going to the store again tomorrow.

I served the Emeril's recipe I linked to above to two sets of guests over Christmas, and it was universally praised. It's quite sweet, but very nicely spiced and rich, and with the Gosling's had a good depth of flavor as well. I made it just as written, with the 3 oz of rum per small mug, and nobody asked for it to be more dilute, although I had thought it might be too strong. This is a very nice recipe to have in your collection, and since I made a double batch, I'll be serving it to people through the New Year.

Not to be talking to myself, but I need to update this. I'd been assuming that the Gosling's would be better than the 10 Cane, was 95% sure of that. But, having had HBRs 2 nights in a row, it's sort of a habit, so tonight I made one for myself. And since it was just me, I decided to make it with 10 Cane, thinking that it would be too light and sweet to hold up, but hey, give it a chance.

It was so much better that it totally blew me away. It melted right into the other flavors of the mix, making it sweeter in the best way, and less sweet in that icky way, all at the same time. Alchemy. The next guests to get my HBR are gonna get lucky.

Abra:

It makes sense that the lighter and more "cane sugar-ey" flavor of the Ten Cane worked better with the butter and brown sugar. The heavy molasses-like flavors of the Gosling's would probably be a bit over the top with the addition of the brown sugar and butter. Think of it as which rum you'd rather drink with a struesel-topped cobbler. I'd think a dark rum would be too rich.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol