• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where were the good 1991 vintages?

Michael M

My partner and I met in 1991, and have since grown to love wine, so much so that we're often arranging our meals, evenings out and vacations around it. So I'd love to get him a special bottle for the holidays from the year we met. I've done a little research, but figured I'd get some good, if not better, advice here.

We lean toward food-friendly wines, and gravitate toward French, Italian, Spanish and Portugese before American and Australian, in general. A 1991 port recommendation would be nice, but so would any wine. I'm not looking to store it necessarily, either, but would like to drink it within a few weeks.

Any suggestions?

1991 was an uneven vintage around the globe with greatness in some locations and disappointment elsewhere. I have followed the 1991 vintage as I have a son born in 1991. In my experience the best places for the 1991 vintage include Piemonte in Italy, the northern Rhone in France and Ribera del Duero and Rioja in Spain. Depending on your budget I would seek out wines from those areas. Personal favorite producers include Bruno Giacosa and Angelo Gaja from Piemonte, the "Super Cote Roties" from Guigal in the northern Rhone and the wines of Alejandro Fernandez (Pesquera) the Ribera del Duero. If you prefer whites, it was also a good year in Burgundy and the northern Rhone. I would suggest staying away from 1991 Bordeaux or Port if you are looking for a special bottle.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

A 1991 port recommendation would be nice, but so would any wine.

Many Port houses declared a vintage in 1991. The two biggies (Taylor Fladgate and Fonseca) bottled single quinta wines in those years and declared a vintage the following year for their flagship wines. If you can find one of the single-quinta wines (Fonseca's is Guimaraens; Taylor's is Quinta de Vargellas), I would guess they are drinking nicely now. Which reminds me that I have one of each in my cellar and am now tempted to open one.

It may be easier to locate Vintage Port from any of the other easily-found producers, though.

You placed California further down on the list, but 1991 was a good vintage for California Cabernet, and they've held up pretty well.

I also go along with John on Northern Rhone and Spain. 1991 was also fairly good for Amarone della Valpolicella.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thanks.  Do either of you have a preferred site for purchasing these types of older bottles?

You can try wine-searcher.com. Also, some online auction sites (Brentwood Wines, North Carolina Wine Company, Chicago Wine Company).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

You placed California further down on the list, but 1991 was a good vintage for California Cabernet, and they've held up pretty well.

May I second that good advice? I had specific good experience (not current but in the last few years) with [Edit:] Grgich Hills and Ridge Monte Bello 1991 Cabernets. The latter especially is built to age (see related comments in Wine Bible book thread, FYI) and has been offered directly by the winery very recently, including as part of gift packs. (www.ridgewine.com or telephone the winery.) Also had good experience with red Burgundies of 1991.

Edited by MaxH (log)

Thanks.  Do either of you have a preferred site for purchasing these types of older bottles?

Here is Winebid.com's current selection of bottles from the 1991 vintage. While there are some very good bottles in there, I can't say that there was anything that I felt I absolutely must bid on.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz