• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Finicky, I admit, but I prefer to be brought a box and package my leftovers myself.    I like food to remain in eyesight and to pack the box to my taste.

If you bring your own container(s) you can control the situation. 

I carry a canvas shopping bag instead of a purse, even when I go out to dinner....I have some nice ones for 'evening wear' 😃   A small New Yorker-branded bag and also a fashionable Smithsonian Museum member bag in black and a touch of lime green (it even has an outside pocket for my phone). 

I carry 2 plastic containers, one is a split container allowing 2 different food items that won't touch each other (wish I could find another one here).  

Granted I live in a village in central Mexico but we eat out 5 to 7 times a week and bringing a container that I can fill, carry home and then simply refrigerate is far better than the restaurants' to-go boxes whose lids or covers often don't fit tight enough.  And I can microwave some of my leftovers in the same container I took to the restaurant.  

fyi, when I travel to the US or EU or big cities in MX, I do the same as above.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

Finicky, I admit, but I prefer to be brought a box and package my leftovers myself.    I like food to remain in eyesight and to pack the box to my taste.

I carry a canvas shopping bag instead of a purse, even when I go out to dinner....I have some nice ones for 'evening wear' 😃A small New Yorker-branded bag and also a fashionable Smithsonian Museum member bag in black and a touch of lime green (it even has an outside pocket for my phone). 

I carry 2 plastic containers, one is a split container allowing 2 different food items that won't touch each other (wish I could find another one here).  

Granted I live in a village in central Mexico but we eat out 5 to 7 times a week and bringing a container that I can fill, carry home and then simply refrigerate is far better than the restaurants' to-go boxes whose lids or covers often don't fit tight enough.  And I can microwave some of my leftovers in the same container I took to the restaurant.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

I carry a canvas shopping bag instead of a purse, even when I go out to dinner....I have some nice ones for 'evening wear' 😃A small New Yorker-branded bag and also a fashionable Smithsonian Museum member bag in black and a touch of lime green (it even has an outside pocket for my phone).