• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

To correct total grams in recipe.

Coming across this thread led me to think about making a chestnut bonbon for my Christmas selection.  I consulted my chocolate book collection and found a promising recipe in Wybauw's Fine Chocolates Gold.  But I am confused by missing items from the ingredient list.  At first "Chestnut Truffles" (p. 220) sounds like a butter ganache recipe (butter, honey, chestnut purée, rum, milk chocolate), but the instructions also include:  "Mix the cocoa butter together with the chocolate and stir through the cream."  Nowhere are cocoa butter or cream listed.  Editing problems have been discussed in regard to this book in another thread, but this omission seems particularly puzzling.  Has anyone tried this recipe or have suggestions on quantities of cocoa butter and cream?  I gave away my copies of the individual Wybauw books that were combined into the Gold volume, so can't check those.

Wybauw gives the total batch size of the recipe as 740g, but the listed ingredients total 470g.  That's a big difference (270g), meaning a lot of cream and cocoa butter.

Correction:  I rechecked my math, and Wybauw's recipe does total 740g.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the cream and cocoa butter.  Perhaps when he says to stir the chocolate and cocoa butter through the cream, he is referring to the chestnut purée mixture as a cream?  I'm going to give this a try, omitting any extra cocoa butter and treating it as a butter ganache.

Jim D.

Jim D.

Coming across this thread led me to think about making a chestnut bonbon for my Christmas selection.  I consulted my chocolate book collection and found a promising recipe in Wybauw's Fine Chocolates Gold.  But I am confused by missing items from the ingredient list.  At first "Chestnut Truffles" (p. 220) sounds like a butter ganache recipe (butter, honey, chestnut purée, rum, milk chocolate), but the instructions also include:  "Mix the cocoa butter together with the chocolate and stir through the cream."  Nowhere are cocoa butter or cream listed.  Editing problems have been discussed in regard to this book in another thread, but this omission seems particularly puzzling.  Has anyone tried this recipe or have suggestions on quantities of cocoa butter and cream?  I gave away my copies of the individual Wybauw books that were combined into the Gold volume, so can't check those.

Wybauw gives the total batch size of the recipe as 740g, but the listed ingredients total 470g.  That's a big difference (270g), meaning a lot of cream and cocoa butter.

Jim D.

Jim D.

Wybauw gives the total batch of the recipe as 740g, but the listed ingredients total 470g.  That's a big difference (270g), meaning a lot of cream and cocoa butter.

Jim D.

Jim D.