• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French: Baking for my Grade

floormee

Greetings all,

I've managed to paint myself into a corner in my French class, so I shall default to kissing ass and using food to help insure that yours trully is able to get out the grade needed to progress to the next level.

(Admittedly, it's all my fault, and hopefully, my mother doesn't read this. If she does, ignore the first part and uh, the teacher hates me, and it's all her fault.)

Anyway, I was thinking a galette or something of the like, something DEFINITELY French... baking is my forte, and I was hoping someone here might have a recipe that isn't too extreme (example: eclairs,) that I could accomplish with an evening's worth of baking, and a max of $50 worth of budgetting. Besides that, the sky is the limit, as long as it's something I can say it is French cooking.

Thanks for the help,

J

Cream puffs are actually easier than you think. Really! I thought they were trés difficile, too - until I made them once. Start with a really basic recipe and instructions, which you should be able to find on egullet or elsewhere. Then fill with whipped cream, flavored if you want.

There's also a lovely little chouquettes story and recipe here at Chocolate & Zucchini. Actually, she has LOTS of recipes and suggestions for good French baked goods. Yum.

Good luck, and let us know what you choose to make!