• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Potatoes

KARENR65

I am planning on making a sweet potatoe casserole - can I bake off the sweet potatoes early (Monday or Tuesday) and assemble the casserole Thursday morning?

Should I rice them after baking or can I do that the morning of as well?

Thanks for your help!

Why don't you bake the potatoes wed. morning, and then go ahead and put the dish together, then bake off thurs? You can make it tomorrow even, it should be ok in the frdge for a day or two. I agree it's easier to put together when hot, especially when you use butter, it mixes up easier, but you really can bake sweet potatoes and freeze them in the skins until you want them. Better yet, make 2 cassaroles and freeze one for Christmas. Sweet potatoes are really cheap this week, so I'm doubleing up when I bake them and putting the ones I don't use in ziplocs to have next month. Cheers!