• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Differences in maltodextrins?

aidensnd2

So I just bought a tub of maltodextrin form Nature's Flavors labeled as Tapioca Maltodextrin DE-10 and it isn't working as expected to form powders. It comes together ok but when you eat it instead of it dissolving in your mouth it turns to a chewy little nugget before eventually breaking down. Has anyone else experienced this? I tried it with several different bases and the results were the same. Previously I was using N-Zorbit which was working perfectly. Are there various types of tapicoa maltodextrin?

Thanks

Was the N-Zorbit DE-10 also? Maltodextrin is an umbrella term for a range of products that can vary widely in functionality.

I have yet to work with maltodextrin, but I have worked with polydextrose (also DE-10) extensively and the phenomenon you're describing occurs with that as well. When small amounts of liquid (or in this case saliva) combine with the polydextrose, it has a tendency to agglomerate into glassed candy clumps that take a long time to break down.

From Food Product Design Making the Most of Maltodextrins

Within these ranges, the ingredients will not show significant differences in functionality. Armstrong notes that while it's difficult to find any differences with a small shift in DE, larger differences indicate greatly different polymer lengths. The characteristics of a 5 DE are vastly different from those of an 18 DE.  As DE increases, so do the following characteristics:

* browning (due to the increased level of reducing sugars);

* hygroscopicity/humectant properties;

* plasticity;

* sweetness;

* solubility;

* osmolality.

As DE decreases, the following characteristics increase:

* molecular weight;

* viscosity;

* cohesiveness;

* film-forming properties;

* prevention of large sugar-crystal formation.

In other words, as DE goes down, solubility decreases. You might want to track down a higher DE maltodextrin.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Ahh, I was wondering if the DE-10 designation was important but I have no idea what DE stands for/refers to. Any info would be great.

The only info I have on N-Zorbit just refers to it as Tpaioca Maltodextrin, no numerical designation.

Interesting.

DE is short for  dextrose equivalence.

DE is also referred to as the "sweetness value" associated with for example High fructose corn syrup. In industry, and semi intermediate applications, the DE value is of importance B/C it determines the range of products that can be used.

Remember, Sucrose was ditched in favor of High Fructose corn Syrup a long time ago, in favor of its easier handling properties (IE it can be heated, gravimetrically weighed, and piped) to it's destination vs. Sucrose which has to be driven into solution, and is a bulky medium.

Michael Robert Porru