• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

do butterfat/milkfat/ghee have different crystalline structures like cacao butter?

jedovaty

Hi:

When I make ghee, it is rock solid out of the fridge a few days later.  I bought some "ghee butter sticks" from the supermarket the other day (found in the froo froo section), and the sticks themselves had nearly a butter-like consistency out of my fridge.  They taste like ghee, and have a slight graininess to them like ghee.  Ingredients are "clarified butter".  If it's possible to make ghee have an elastic type property by simply manipulating its crystalline structure, it'll open up a world of treats for my friends/family with casein/lactose issues.