• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

christmas gifts

delhigirl

Hi All,

It's a bit early but I've begun thinking in terms of presents for Christmas this year. I've just started a new job and have not one, but two bosses. What would be an appropriate gift for a boss? I'm posting here instead of Monster.com because I want it to be food-related.

In the past I've given small gifts to coworkers, especially friends and team members. Nothing too expensive but something small and fun...maybe samplers of expensive chocolate or a small bag of exotic spices.

I also don't want it to be too homey because previously I've felt that recipients thought I was being cheap by making my own gifts.

So what would be a decent food-related gift for a boss? Any suggestions on budget would also be welcome. I don't want to overspend (waaaay too easy if I just pick up that expensive gourmet hamper) but I also don't want it to look as if I needn't have bothered. Can someone think of a gift with surprise elements? Something that would delight the other person?

Edited by delhigirl (log)

A place like Marshalls or Winners in Canada will have a nice variety of food gifts for very reasonable prices. You could put together a nice little basket of goodies.

No one has complained about my homemade gifts, but I always package them as professionally as possible.

"Depends on if you like them!"

Ha! I don't dislike them. I quite like my immediate boss actually. But here's the thing... I haven't had an opportunity to interact with them on such a personal level that I could gauge what their likes and dislikes are. Such a scenario just hasn't happened and I don't feel comfortable bringing up the subject in an unrelated way. Hence the post.

Could you put a number on a range that would be appropriate for such a gift?

• 4 weeks later...

A bottle of wine is always greatly appreciated. Even if you don't know your bosses well enough to know their tastes or even if they drink, around the holidays a bottle of wine will be enjoyed. You can get some great bottles for $25 and by giving them a gift that is relatively the same, no preferential treatment or comparison can be made.

I agree with Kerry Beal and Milagai, I love getting homemade gifts because I don't have the time or patience to create what I have been given, too bad that some people can't appreciate it! Their loss.

Muskoka Kid