• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South Street Area Openings/Closings

Sfuffy

Just noticed these today:

Tommy Gunns' BBQ on South Street has closed according to a sign in their window.

At 5th & Bainbridge, in the space where Chaleo Thai was, Angelina's, a new Italian place has opened. (Because there just aren't enough Italian restaurants in and near Queen Village and Bella Vista :rolleyes: )

Edited by Sfuffy (log)

How many Italian restaurants can any one area support?

Even here in the Burbs there appears to be an Italian restaurant on every corner. I love Italian but some diversity would be welcome.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Just noticed these today:

Tommy Gunns' BBQ on South Street has closed according to a sign in their window.

At 5th & Bainbridge, in the space where Chaleo Thai was, Angelina's, a new Italian place has opened. (Because there just aren't enough Italian restaurants in and near Queen Village and Bella Vista  :rolleyes: )

Was that Sala Thai a few years ago?

Yes - that used to be Sala Thai, sight of the worst Pad Thai I've ever had in my life. I've never been sorry that was gone.

And yes - heaven knows there aren't enough Italian restaurants in Philly, no less just in that neighborhood. I can think of almost a dozen within a four block radius. And obviously we need one more. I just noticed a sign in the window of the long abandoned looking space at the northeast corner of 5th & Passyunk that says "Coming soon - Ristorante La Costiera" :blink:

I want to go check out those killer ricotta gnocchi Chris Cognac had on his Hungry Detective Philly episode at Mezzaluna. Those looked gooooood.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yes - that used to be Sala Thai, sight of the worst Pad Thai I've ever had in my life.  I've never been sorry that was gone.

And yes - heaven knows there aren't enough Italian restaurants in Philly, no less just in that neighborhood.  I can think of almost a dozen within a four block radius.  And obviously we need one more.  I just noticed a sign in the window of the long abandoned looking space at the northeast corner of 5th & Passyunk that says "Coming soon - Ristorante La Costiera"  :blink:

There's also the place opening up at Passyunk and Catherine across the street from where Cafe Sud used to be, which is going to be Italian as well if I remember correctly. Still, the area around South/Bainbridge between 2nd and 8th has become, over the past couple of years, home to a large number of the city's most fantastic restaurants that are not Italian: Gayle, Ansill, Horizons, Shouk, Salt & Pepper, and Southwark, at least. So even if there are 3 mediocre Italian places for every Ansill, or even for every Ava, that's fine with me. The area seems to have the customers to fill them.

Oops! I stand corrected. I meant the corner of Passyunk & Catharine that you mentioned, across from Sud. I got confused because all those streets meet right there...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol