• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sheep's Milk

NaFairge

anyone have a lead?

i tried the terminal, sue's, whole foods, etc.

would love to get my hands on some.

You may want to try the Passyunk Square farmer's market, Wednesdays from 3 pm to 7 pm at the fountain at Tasker and Passyunk. There is an Amish guy there who I've noticed sells goat's milk, I've never looked too hard at his milk selection so I don't know if he has sheep's milk, but he does bring his own refrigerated dairy case to the FM every week.

At the West Chester Farmer's Market (Saturday, 9-1), there is a farm that sells yogurt and cheeses made from their own organic sheep's milk. Their farm is about 35 minutes west of West Chester. I've never asked if they would sell sheep's milk, but they would be a wonderful source....

If you like, come to the market ... otherwise, I'll be there this Saturday and can ask for you. What do you need to know -- quantity? price? ??

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

You may have trouble buying sheep'smilk. Since there aren't many people producing it it is scarce, and the farms that produce it use it for cheese and other dairy products. They aren't permitted to sell the raw milk itself--I make sheep'smilk soap for Valley Shepherd Creamery and he gives me the milk to use--but he can't sell me any milk to produce soaps for my own business.

Zoe

i want to make a savory custard.

in pais vasco there is a dish called 'mamilla' which refers to the actual bowl it is served in. it is also called 'cuajada'. traditionally, one burns the milk and then thickens it. served with fruit and honey to balance the scalded element. the flavor is super intense and not everyone likes it. i loved it.

smoke and milk. delicious.

my idea: sheep's milk (nothing tastes like it!). gellan/agar or kuzu so i can just warm it enough to take the chill off. garnish with figs in black olive caramel and halen mon.

penn. farms good idea mj. i did consider yuba. vadouvan, i searched online for so long i am seeing double!

i suppose i could use goat's milk.

but i am not willing to give this up yet.......

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

some research unveiled interesting facts about sheep farming. turns out american sheep are much smaller and produce much much less milk as opposed to their european counterparts. also, the demand is low.

http://agalternatives.aers.psu.edu/livesto...#39;s%20milk%22

check it out.....

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

I telling Philly right now......watch out for this NaFairge cat!!!  He is a bad ass chef, and is going to WOW the Philly dining scene!!!!  He opens soon!!!  I'll be there.....

Lateralus:

We'd be there too, if you chose to be more specific. Meanwhile, we have no clue what or whom you speak of... :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Lateralus is right on, the young man is driven and few are as passionate about "the art" any more.

He will in fact do good things, I have no doubt.

I just caution Lateralus its better to swoop in unnoticed without raising expectations too much..........and nailing it...........which he will.

Shhhhh.

he's got his wings......let him fly...... :wink:

Edited by Vadouvan (log)

no worries two dogs. anything i find i will pass along.

still looking............

i have found some nice goat milk. the flavors work well of course. but it lacks that TANG.....

citric acid? or would it curdle? i would rather have a natural component.

maybe garnish with lemon balm or petit sorrel or sour cloves? that would bring the brightness.

thoughts, gentlemen?

The salad leaves would do it for sure.....

I am almost certain citric acid would curdle right away

BUT you may be able to use citric acid if you introduce it in powdered form *along with* standard Ice cream stabilizer ??

Or one of the fancy emulsifiers from TIC gums.

TIC has a few pretested "Dairyblend" stabilizers I am using which is what makes the Lemon-Brie Ice Cream work with liquid citric acid to up the tang because its served cold.

I suppose the citric acid may cause synerisis otherwise ?

Check this out bro....

http://www.ticgums.com/store/product.asp?product_id=2179

Hit me up, I can give you the email for an inside rep I met at IFT in Orlando, she knows everything.

Edited by Vadouvan (log)