• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pretty, identifiable cheeses

Malawry

I love serving cheeses, at home or at parties I cater. I've learned over time that it's better at a party with a buffet if you can pre-portion most of the cheese for easy sampling, and it's best if the cheeses are labeled. I own some nice white ceramic cheese picks with a gold dry-erase marker for this purpose.

I'm catering a small party tomorrow, and they want a cheese tray. So I bought some nice cheeses for them. But since it's not such a large party, some of the pieces of cheese are rather small--so by the time I preportion them, I won't have a chunk left that's large enough for holding the pick. Does anybody have any suggestions for what I can pick up at a regular supermarket to use for holding these picks? They are not exactly sharp, so they need to go in something firm.

I like to decorate cheese platters with fresh herbs and colorful fruits like kumquats or cranberries. How do you present your cheeses?

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I can pick up at a regular supermarket to use for holding these picks? They are not exactly sharp, so they need to go in something firm.

A small, half melon of any type? a pineapple?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What about a just-under-ripe avocado? It will add some color pop to the plate, and if you brush it with some oil or lemon juice, it shouldn't oxidize. I love serving my cheese with roasted grapes, either warm or cooled, walnuts that have been sauteed in butter with fennel seed, kosher salt, and chili flake, sherry vinegar/onion jam, and thin crostini or melba toasts. Good luck!

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

How about a lemon or lime half - cut a sliver off the bottom so it'll stand.

I agree it's better to pre-portion a goodly amount of the cheese on a buffet, but it's hard with some types of cheeses - what do you do for a brie, for example? (or do you not serve it?)

Do you ever put cheeses on crackers or toasts for the buffet?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Different varieties of apples for each kind of cheese maybe? My concern with this though is that apples might be *too* firm and when someone pulls a pick they take the whole apple.

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

How about taking a small cube of Oasis (the green foam stuff florists use) poke in little sprigs of herbs or general foliage, and stick the label pick in the top. Oasis blocks can be cut to the appropriate size with a sharp knife.

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

I'd love to have cheese picks for this sort of thing! I always like glazed walnuts or pecans plus grapes to help decorate my cheese platters. To hold your pics, how about some pieces of apple, brushed with lemon to stop them turning brown of course. Although I have to admit, I rather like Pat's idea!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I vote for radishes....they dont turn brown, a nice pop of color, and the shape is different than sliced cheese.

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I ended up using radishes. Unfortunately, these ceramic picks are too heavy for most radishes. And then some people ate the radishes off the tray! :shock: I have a couple of weeks before the next cheese tray, so I may experiment between now and then. I adore the floral foam idea, I think that sounds pretty sharp-looking, but I suspect the foam will also be too weak to support the picks.