• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Fried Noodles w/ Garlic and Beef Sauce

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

Fried Noodles with Garlic and Beef Sauce (牛肉醬抄麺)

I bought a can of "beef paste" made from the famous Taiwanese food manufacturer "Hsin Tung Yang". The sauce/paste is quite tasty, albeit a little bit salty. I don't really know what dishes one can use it to make. I came up with my recipe of mixing this in to make Fried Noodles with Minced Beef and Garlic. The result was very good. Try it if you can find this canned "Beef Paste".

The label in English read:

Hsin Tung Yang Beef Paste (Chili Pepper Flavored). Product of U.S.A.

Picture of the finished dish:

gallery_19795_3605_18694.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 3-4

Preparations:

gallery_19795_3605_8190.jpg

Main ingredients (lower left, clockwise):

- about 3/4 to 1 lb of noodles

- 1 can of the featured "Hsin Tung Yang Beef Paste"

- 4-5 stalks of green onions

- 7-8 cloves of garlic

- 1 to 1 1/2 lb of ground beef

- (Not shown) 1/2 a medium size onion

Note: I like to use broad noodles for this dish. You may use any of your favorite noodles, or even spaghetti, fettucini or other kinds of pasta.

gallery_19795_3605_20027.jpg

This is a close-up shot of the main feature: Hsin Tung Yang Beef Paste (Chili Pepper Flavored).

gallery_19795_3605_7627.jpg

Another close-up shot.

gallery_19795_3605_21241.jpg

Peel and dice 1/2 onion. Peel and mince 7-8 cloves of garlic. Trim ends and finely chop 4-5 stalks of green onions.

gallery_19795_3605_4628.jpg

To marinate the ground beef: use a mixing bowl. Add the ground beef. Then add:

- 2 tsp of sesame oil

- 2 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine

- 1-2 tsp of corn starch

- 2 tsp of light soy sauce

- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce

- 1 tsp of ground white pepper

Mix well. Set aside for at least 30 minutes before cooking.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_3605_23984.jpg

First cook the noodles. Use a medium pot and boil 1/2 pot of water.

gallery_19795_3605_10799.jpg

Add the noodles.

gallery_19795_3605_11429.jpg

Add a little bit of cooking oil and salt to the boiling water. This would make the noodles easier to separate and not stick together. Cook the noodles until Al Dente. It takes about 10 minutes or so, depending on the noodle type.

gallery_19795_3605_7406.jpg

Drain the noodles onto a colander. Run some cold water over them. Drain well and separate them the best you can.

gallery_19795_3605_27866.jpg

Next: Brown the ground beef. Place a pan/wok over high heat. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Add the marinated ground beef.

gallery_19795_3605_23886.jpg

Stir well. Remove when the beef is browned.

gallery_19795_3605_20942.jpg

Start with a clean pan/wok. Place over high heat. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil starts fuming. Add chopped onions and minced garlic. Sautee for a minute or so. Add 1/2 tsp of salt (or to taste)

gallery_19795_3605_30898.jpg

Add a full can of the featured "Beef Paste". Add 4 tsp of Sa Cha Sauce.

gallery_19795_3605_559.jpg

Stir well. Mix the sauces and cook for another minute or 2.

gallery_19795_3605_13320.jpg

Add the well-drained noodles. Stir well. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the noodles heat up.

gallery_19795_3605_17313.jpg

Finally, return the browned ground beef and add the finely chopped green onions.

gallery_19795_3605_12700.jpg

Mix well and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Ready. Transfer the noodles to serving plates.

gallery_19795_3605_18694.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Add a full can of the featured "Beef Paste". Add 4 tsp of Sa Cha Sauce.

Ah Leung:

The pictures themselves are mouthwatering ... I can only imagine the taste of the dish itself.

One question -- what is "Sa Cha Sauce"?

Regards,

JasonZ

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Xiao hzrt -- that is a dish that goes right to my heart! I'm a BIG noodle fan, and this one looks so tasty --- and soooooo easy. I like the flat noodles, but I might try it with Shanghai noodles. Being on the South Beach diet, I shouldn't even THINK noodles, but this picture just plain weakens me!

What are the ingredients in the 'beef paste'? ------ aside from the chili.

What are the ingredients in the 'beef paste'? ------ aside from the chili.

It may surprise you... it actually contains... Beef!

Very fine shreds of beef from processing. Plus lots of salt. (That "paste" is quite salty if eaten as is. But using it to cook brings good flavor.)

Regards,

JasonZ

Sa Cha Sauce is also commonly known as Satay sauce. It is a very common sauce in Taiwanese households. The ingredients include: Soy Bean Oil, Garlic, Shallots, Chili, Spice, Brill Fish, Dry Shrimp, Salt. It's very yummy!! :wub:

Common methods of use are in beef dishes and water spinach stirfries. In addition, it is also used as a dipping sauce for hot pots in Taiwan.

Hope this helps.

Lee Kum Kee makes both Sa Cha and Satay sauces.

Descriptions from the website:

Sa Cha: Lee Kum Kee Sa Cha Sauce is a regional Chinese Sauce made from selected shrimp, brill fish and a mixture of spices. Its aromatic seafood flavor makes it best as a hot pot soup base or as a dipping sauce.

Satay: Lee Kum Kee Satay Sauce is a Southeast Asian inspired sauce with a spicy peanut flavor accented by sweet coconut. Satay Sauce is great for marinating, dipping or as barbecue sauce.

The two sauces sound very close in Cantonese but Sa Cha Sauce is not exactly Satay sauce.

To me, I cook up Satay sauce by MIXING Sa Cha Sauce with peanut butter and ground peanut and a bit of madras curry powder, some ground fresh chilies or chili sauce, plus sauteed minced shallots and garlic of course.

The two sauces sound very close in Cantonese but Sa Cha Sauce is not exactly Satay sauce.

To me, I cook up Satay sauce by MIXING Sa Cha Sauce with peanut butter and ground peanut and a bit of madras curry powder, some ground fresh chilies or chili sauce, plus sauteed minced shallots and garlic of course.

The satay in Hong Kong is quite different from the satay of SE Asia. HK style is exactly what hzrt8w described. It is awesome when stir fried with beef and top it over instant ramen or ho fun.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

There are many forms of satay sauce.

I guess I should have been more clear. In Taiwan and other Chinese regions Sa Cha sauce is also known as satay sauce. So, if you go to a Taiwanese or maybe even some HK resturants (that I have seen in the northeast), you will see many dishes stir fried with what they call "satay sauce" which is really Sa Cha and not a peanut sauce.

However, in Southeast asia, their satay sauce is known to be a peanut based sauce dipping sauce for bbq skewers.

Jason:

This is a can of "Sa Cha Sauce". It is basically minced dry shrimp, brill fish and seasoning. In the English label, it may be translated as Barbecue Sauce. I have tried many brands of Sa Cha Sauce. The best one in my judgement can only be "Bullhead" brand (as shown in the picture). The other ones are not even close. Beware that many imitators use this silver can packaging too. Be sure you compare the trademark graphics.

gallery_19795_2101_1128.jpg