• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Z Kitchen

BryanZ

We had a bit of a problem with the mango foam (post-photo); things got messy. It happens.

Reminds me of my own foam incident - I always test foam into a bowl at first as if the ISI decides to go into spay mode it's easier to contain and I still have foam can use. If things work right then much easier to spray into the serving dish but that first go is a bit of a worry.

I appreciate that you can get this sorted but as I don't do foams that often I'll go for safe (or less messy).

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

• 1 month later...

just checked this thread. i think the most entertaining aspect is the people trying to persuede you from not doing it. the law has more to worry about. even the fn health inspectors do. ADVERTIZE! i have been home distilling absinthe for YEARS. i sell it. hell i wish i could sell more, but im kinda lazy about my entepeneureal (sp?) endeavors lately. or should i say blowing all my money on equipment and chems like this kid. but im a professional cook. i take 80%of what i buy for my own fun to work and use it practically. like my thermowhip or methycel or maltodex... or some el bulli book or a vac sealer. hell its where all my money goes.... i forego paying bills somtimes(fn ebay...... s.o.b.s....) but its what i love and generally without money im less likely to get in trouble @the bar.... but i enjoy your idea. i have tried simply to gather cooks to discuss food and ideas with huge failure, i even found an organic chemistry student interested in talking but id feel weird just me and some guy i barely know..... im amazed that you can convince people to come over and pay 40 bean for a few courses.... its relatively a deal, since more singular effort goes into your dish, rather than @ most restaurants where your chef is on yr ass for speeds sake. i could do what you do but i think even where i live id be hard pressed to do that. but i like the idea. i like tax free money(used to try my damnedest to make it any way possible). but gotta say. props. big ups.

1 thing though. friendly criticisim. from a fellow food nut & a food professional: more color. gotta make it pop. i used to write graffifi, like i now like to cook, obsessively for 7 years, i learned alot about color. CONTRAST IS ESSENTIAL! and a newer revalation in my own gastronomic growth: texture! gotta have differing textures. i like sous vide but you gotta compliment the softness with crunch. it looks as if you might pre sear from photos, but thats gonna just turn into flavor in yr bag. git a skin on chix and take the skin, season it and fry it crispy(adria serves skin by itself, ive done duck skin w/confit duck{im sure everyone has}) serve it as a tuile, just like fish skin (if u ever watched the jap iron chef, they do it all the time & who dont like a lil crispy salmon skin roll @ the cheap sushi place near home). or find other ways to incorporate all textures. they said that alot @ school. ok thats enuf. ill rattle 4ever if i let myself.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Z Kitchen fans will want to read the NY Times Magazine article on Bryan announced here. What'd folks think of that menu?

They may also want to listen to a very good interview Bryan did a few weeks ago (10/17) on WUNC, the Triangle NC NPR station on a program called "The State Of Things".

It's available on the WUNC web site :

Z Kitchen

Well done, Bryan!

- TT

Tom Tyson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bryan,

When making the carbonated fruit, do you use a whipped cream dispenser with a CO2 charger? Or a soda siphon? I noticed that the instructions for the iSi Thermo Whip say to use cream chargers only, and I don't want to risk damaging it (or even voiding the warranty, if I can help it).

Thanks!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Bryan,

When making the carbonated fruit, do you use a whipped cream dispenser with a CO2 charger? Or a soda siphon? I noticed that the instructions for the iSi Thermo Whip say to use cream chargers only, and I don't want to risk damaging it (or even voiding the warranty, if I can help it).

Thanks!

The method I know uses dry ice. Put fruit in sealed plastic jar with a small piece of dry ice. Let it sit overnight and enjoy.

Nate