• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Union Square Market

Daniel

I cant seem to the find the Original Thread!

Went there this morning after being out of town for a little..

The market was busy, lots of great things to be found..

Tomatoes:

gallery_15057_2971_101575.jpg

Tomatoes:

gallery_15057_2971_158345.jpg

And some Tomatoes:

gallery_15057_2971_190887.jpg

Blue:

gallery_15057_2971_8911.jpg

We bought a ton of stuff.. I think we are stuffing these purple guys with crab salad tomorrow.

gallery_15057_2971_57908.jpg

Here is purple basil.. A purple basil pasta dough in the works..

gallery_15057_2971_299272.jpg

Here is some of the bounty.. Wild celery, heirlooms, sugar plums, green plums, interesting garlic, red carrots,fingerlings, parsley, wild arugala, baby tomatoes, purple basil, and blueberries.. Not pictured are edible flowers, rasberries, black berries, , blue cheese, goat cheese, and sheeps cheese.. Few other things I cant remember..

gallery_15057_2971_51284.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

I recomend the tri-star farms strawberries, if you get there early. Fridays across from the mcD's, and Wensdays right next to the place you got the purple basil.

i might be wrong, but i believe tri-star is the type of berry. the farm that sells them is berried treasures. franca tantillo runs the whole operation and she's super friendly - towards the end of the season she takes the not-so-pretty berries and makes sorbet with them. they're the next best thing to fraises de bois, which you can't find in new york. smaller and plumper as opposed to slender. flesh is crimson right to the center.

its the only item is flip for in new york greenmarkets.

however, those purple peppers look awesome. photos of the final product, please.

Sethro,

I was looking for strawberries today.. Not a one to be found in the market.. I was there two weeks ago and got these little guys though.. Are these the ones you are talking about.. They were awesome... I made a jelly out of some of them and glazed the top..

gallery_15057_2971_150566.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Sethro makes an awesome dessert at Chanto with those strawberries! I loved the taste of them; they remind me of the little wild strawberries I gathered on the slopes of Mt. Butternut, in the Massachusetts Berkshires.

Michael aka "Pan"

I recomend the tri-star farms strawberries, if you get there early. Fridays across from the mcD's, and Wensdays right next to the place you got the purple basil.

i might be wrong, but i believe tri-star is the type of berry. the farm that sells them is berried treasures. franca tantillo runs the whole operation and she's super friendly - towards the end of the season she takes the not-so-pretty berries and makes sorbet with them. they're the next best thing to fraises de bois, which you can't find in new york. smaller and plumper as opposed to slender. flesh is crimson right to the center.

its the only item is flip for in new york greenmarkets.

however, those purple peppers look awesome. photos of the final product, please.

Daniel,

I was there yesterday, too and found the stand with those small strawberries. They are sooooo tiny and soooooo flavourfull!! They almost didn't make it home.

Purchased those small wild blueberries, too, on the opposite side near the cheese guy...and heirloom tomatoes , peaches, and purple basil.

Oh, and Berried Treasures is the Jam guy at the end..Bought some wild blueberry jam.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

What did you think of the peaches.. They were offering samples and I didnt really like any of the offerings.. We did however received a great sample of nectarines.. One big disappoint for me were the sugar plums.. Really mushy..

Sethro makes an awesome dessert at Chanto with those strawberries! I loved the taste of them; they remind me of the little wild strawberries I gathered on the slopes of Mt. Butternut, in the Massachusetts Berkshires.

After reading your description in the Chanto Thread, Sethro's dessert sounds fantastic.. Lots of success, Sethro!

Oh, I'm glad you photographed the tomatoes! I was admiring them the other day for their visual impact alone.

Was down there twice this week while running errands - got sweet corn and peaches (had those strawberries a few weeks ago, mmm). And I bought something I'd never used before: purslane, which I tossed in with my salad greens.

In all this cornucopia of fruit and veg, let's not forget the protein: pork from Flying Pigs Farm, more pork and delicious Belle Rouge chickens from Violet Hill and lamb (and mutton) from Three-Corner Field (though the latter won't be back at the market until early September).

i might be wrong, but i believe tri-star is the type of berry.  the farm that sells them is berried treasures.

I reckon you're right. My bad! There were also some really sweet, reall BIG blackberries around last week. All the blueberries I tried were on the sour side, unfortunately.

I reckon you're right. My bad! There were also some really sweet, reall BIG blackberries around last week. All the blueberries I tried were on the sour side, unfortunately.

i believe it was gina depalma (pastry chef at babbo) who said that nj blueberries were superior to anything else, but i have to disagree. id sooner buy iqf wild blueberries from maine than the ones at the market. as daniel mentioned, the peaches can be iffy too. got a beautiful fragrant ripe one the other week but i spent some time picking it out. from past experience, buying them in bulk for service, i've had to ripen them in brown paper bags to awful results: mealy shriveled yucky things.

Tell me more about Flying Pigs Farm...

This thread is a little old, but has some pictures from Flying Pigs Farm as well as Three Corner Field Farm. Not only are their products great (try some 3CFF cheese), the farms are truly idyllic and everything farms should be. In addition, the people who own and run the farms are wonderful people who I like and admire greatly.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Oh, I sooooooooo miss the Greenmarket.  The strawberries, the cheese, the corn...

But you're near Pennsylvania Deutsch country now, aren't you? Besides, you have the Reading Terminal Market, right?

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 months later...

Some time in mid or late September, the Food Stuff section of the Wednesday Time's Dining and Wine section mentioned that one of the Union Square vendors was now carrying chicken liver... mousse? pate? terrine? Something like that. I even forwarded the link to several friends. I now cannot find mention of this anywhere (including on the Times' site), and when I asked at the market this past Saturday no one (including the market managers) had any idea what I was talking about.

Anybody? :unsure:

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

Some time in mid or late September, the Food Stuff section of the Wednesday Time's Dining and Wine section mentioned that one of the Union Square vendors was now carrying chicken liver... mousse? pate? terrine?  Something like that.  I even forwarded the link to several friends.  I now cannot find mention of this anywhere (including on the Times' site), and when I asked at the market this past Saturday no one (including the market managers) had any idea what I was talking about.

The only thing like that I've seen at USQ is Flying Pig's liver sausage, but that's pork. It is excellent though.

Some time in mid or late September, the Food Stuff section of the Wednesday Time's Dining and Wine section mentioned that one of the Union Square vendors was now carrying chicken liver... mousse? pate? terrine?...

NY Magazine's Grub Street blog mentioned Flying Pigs Farm's chicken-liver pate a couple weeks ago. Second entry from the bottom:

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2006/10/the_si..._pc_pat_an.html

That's it!! So much for my memory....

I just love the gullet. :biggrin:

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

Was at the Market Today some guy is selling this gorgeous Radfichio Treviso and Cardoons..We then purchased some frozen while boar chops from the same guy.. We also purchased some fresh guine hen, some fresh pigs feat and hocks.. Then there was the other guy selling these heirloom as it called it Rutabaga.. He said the strain can be dated back to the civil war...He also had some other really ugly carrots and root vegetables that probably tasted awesome.. :biggrin: They also had this amazing looking ricotta I had to buy...

Edited by Daniel (log)

Food, glorious food!

NY Magazine's Grub Street blog mentioned Flying Pigs Farm's chicken-liver pate a couple weeks ago.  Second entry from the bottom:

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2006/10/the_si..._pc_pat_an.html

I'm saddened to report that Flying Pigs will not be producing this item again till the spring, owing to the affect the temperature change has on the chickens. They couldn't really answer when I asked them what difference changes in the weather would make to a dead chicken's liver, but anyway...

Winter is not kind to chickens in Washington County especially when they are raised free-range as FPF does. As such their stock is reduced over the winter to be replenished in the spring. Their chicken is as good as I've had BTW. I have never had the chicken liver mousse though. I will have to make a point of trying some.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz