• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A small gathering of friends (NOT!)

wfnugent

My company is involved in a large industrial construction project in Philadelphia. Much to my delight, I drive down from Northern NJ about once a week and work with great people and get to enjoy the sights and sounds a great city. (So great in fact that my children, who joined me for a few days this month when it was 102F and there was a pool at the hotel and not at our house, have declared "we could live here," declared everything at Monk's "our favorite...Why is Dad ordering another beer?" and the Terminal market as "awesome." High praise from a 9yo and 7yo.)

In November we are going to finish this project and intend to invite about 50 people for a pre-closing dinner and then have a closing reception for about 300 the following day.

We have hired an event planner to assist us in organizing this effort (imagine Martin Short's character in Father of the Bride) The spaces we have seen, and which should remain nameless, haven't been particularly special. The intent for the dinner is a sit-down dinner with a few short speeches in a high end restaurant or space with top notch catering. The reception will be attended by visiting dignitaries and industry types and we are looking for something uniquely "Philadelphia." We are speaking with the Museum of Art and with the Seaport Museum. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/recommendations? (Please note that my suggestion to split up the party and send them to opposing corners of 9th and Passyunk and let them declare their preference was roundly rejected by the CEO.)

As always, many thanks.

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

The Constitution Center does private parties.

The Union League has amazing catering facilities.

The Top of the Tower also is a great space with views of the city.

Museam of Archeology at Univ at Penn is also great for private functions.

I have attended events at all of these and recommend them.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Let me add another museum space for consideration: Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. An incredible space inside, typical Frank Furness architecture They have an exclusive caterer, however, and I'm unaware of its qualities.

Cherie V's suggestion of the Union League is a good one, too; they do a excellent job on the food side for both large dinners and smaller receptions, plus it's a fascinating building (like PAFA) with intriguing interior spaces and an interesting history. Pretty hard to think of a more "Philadelphia" establishment. Holly's Waterworks suggestion is also intriguing, though I haven't tried their food yet.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

...we are looking for something uniquely "Philadelphia."

The Mummer's Museum at 2nd & Washington. Doesn't get any more unique or any more Philly than that.

The Archaeology Museum at Penn is a great suggestion.

The Franklin Institute is a very cool place to have parties - I worked several in my years back doing catering.

One of the most unique venues I've ever seen/worked at is the Mütter Museum

Davio's restaurant has a private room with a gorgeous terrace. Amazing views of the city. The food is excellent as well.

Restaurant XIX (Nineteen) on the top floor of the Park Hyatt Bellvue hotel has spectacular views of the city and is also a drop dead gorgeous space.

There's a great deck at the Kimmel Center under that beautiful vaulted ceiling that is worth checking out as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

All of the above are great spaces, and I'd second Holly's endorsement of the Penn Museum's Upper Egyptian Gallery or the Rotunda there.

Another space you might want to consider is the Crystal Tea Room in the Wanamaker Building. This may prove to be a bit too Ladies Who Lunch-y for a bunch of contractors and engineers, but it is a fabulous space, and it's run by a well regarded caterer.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

several of the spaces mentioned are not suitable for a reception of 300. if you are planning a reception that large and haven't chosen a venue for an event that is 3 months off, you are WAY behind. best of the luck to whoever has their name attached to that project.

Edited by jmbrightman (log)

I am fortunately not in charge of this shindig, I am only trying to help those who are because they are in a pinch. As is usually the case, this whole exercise has blossomed from a small gathering to "You think we need circus performers?"

These are all excellent suggestions. I will pass them on to those with the checkbook and see what they can do. I on the other hand will sit at Monk's and have a draft Chimay and a plate of frites and not worry too much about it.

Thanks to you all,

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me