• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw quail egg and uni shooter

Kent Wang

Uchi, a contemporary Japanese restaurant in Austin, offers a specialty called the Uchi Shot, a raw quail egg and a piece of uni (sea urchin) placed in a double shot glass then filled to the brim with sparkling white wine.

I think it's rather interesting but I don't really like the sparkling white wine. It's nice that it's clear so that you can see the beautiful raw quail egg but I don't think it complements the flavor of egg and uni. So how would you modify the dish?

Perhaps another liquid like tomato juice or Bloody Mary mix? The salt and acidity would balance nicely with the egg and uni. It'd be nice to have a clear liquid, though. Maybe sake?

How about modifying the proteins? I think the quail egg is essential as it's so pretty. Maybe substitute the uni for some salmon roe?

I'd go with tomato water or sake if an alcohol hit is required.

Was the intent of the sparkling wine to simply give a clear medium, or does the fizz also impart something to the shooter?

Don't know about replacing the uni; I like that particular combination and just have this image of these salmon eggs floating to the top of this thing.

Salmon roe floats?

There's something wrong about shooting sparkling wine. To me, its fizzyness is what's particularly inappropriate. I like to sip sparkling wine, not shoot it. That said, a clear beer alternative is certainly possible like a Belgian Pale Ale, Witbier or Kristall Weizen.