• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Peking Duck in Houston

jscarbor

I haven't had it there in a while, however, the very best that my family and I always got peking duck at is at Golden Palace on Bellaire near the intersection of there and Fondren. The entire center is blue, you can't miss it if you turn from fondren onto bellaire towards gessner. Ask for the bones also to be made into soup even though it's a couple bucks more. They also have a great pan fried noodles with stir-fried lobster.

Again, it's been at least a year since I've been.

Also, for a good option though it is for sure a little pricey, go to Fung's Kitchen. I've found that with their food it's sometimes great, sometimes mediocre, the food is pricey, but you'll always get good service.

hope this helps.

I know GP, never had duck there, will give it a shot possibly. I want to say a chinese guy told me about a place called confucious on Bellaire, ever been there? Its close to Gessner and is only open for Dinner.

I know GP, never had duck there, will give it a shot possibly. I want to say a chinese guy told me about a place called confucious on Bellaire, ever been there? Its close to Gessner and is only open for Dinner.

The food there has always been mediocre for most and below par some of the time. The only thing I remember being very good were the cold cuts and the jellyfish. If I remember correctly, I think their Peking duck is served with the pancakes (like moo shu) instead of the bread. I know the pancakes are more authentic but I guess I like the bread more.

My family is Chinese, but I guess we go to the more informal places like Shanghai Cuisine in the Welcome complex (which is actually Cantonese cooking) and Sinh Sinh because they have live seafood. When we do go to the more formal places it's always Fung's Kitchen or when we're forced to, Ocean Palace.

The place to have it is called "Peking Cuisine" right on the corner of 59 and Gessner. We went there a few weeks ago with a Chinese coworker who ordered it an hour or two ahead of time. She also ordered all the little plates that accompanied the meal (sliced pig ears, tofu, greens, some beef,...). I tell you, it was a meal fit for a king and the duk was out of this world, crispy, crispy skin and lovely moist meat. It was taken off the bone and sliced too.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The place to have it is called "Peking Cuisine" right on the corner of 59 and Gessner. We went there a few weeks ago with a Chinese coworker who ordered it an hour or two ahead of time. She also ordered all the little plates that accompanied the meal (sliced pig ears, tofu, greens, some beef,...). I tell you, it was a meal fit for a king and the duk was out of this world, crispy, crispy skin and lovely moist meat. It was taken off the bone and sliced too.

I didn't realize that place offered peking duck. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm there. Next time you go, get the marinated beef tendon and the spicy eggplant. I'm also a fan of their stir fried bittermelon and lily bulbs, but I think that may be somewhat of an acquired taste. When we're in the mood for this type of Peking cuisine, this place is our first choice.

We went for lunch, maybe 6 of us total. We had pre-ordered the duck and when we got there, our friend picked another 5 or 6 smaller dishes like I mentioned. None of the dishes were your typical Chinese fair, and our Chinese coworker who is actaully from Hong Kong even said that all those dishes were foreign even to her (the menu she picked from was written in Chinese characters, I hope they have an English version of it). That added to my sense of excitment of course! The duck itself only comes with the thin crepes/pancakes, scallions and some thick dark sauce (Hoisin probably). You make your own "tacos" using those ingredients. The price ended up being...brace yourself now....a full $9 or so plus tip per person for the whole thing. Yes everyone was more than full and I actually had to polish off the sliced pig ears because I did not want them to be left behind.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog