• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road Trip---95 from NJ to FL

zoe b

We are making an unexpected road trip next week--my sister is getting married--so would love to hear from you all about fav spots to eat along the road.

We have consulted Holly Eats with great success, also chowhound, and I have an old copy of Real Barbecue--a have a few favs of our own--but they happen to fit into a quick 2 day run--this time we'll take a little more time so we can maybe try a few different places.

Lately we have enjoyed Moore's, Ralph's and Allman's --BBQ places--what do you love?

On the way back we'll be camping --would like to stop in St Augustine for a few days, then to Beaufort SC, then on to Ocracoke for the previously scheduled vacation time.

Zoe

Edited by zoe b (log)

We are making an unexpected road trip next week--my sister is getting married--so would love to hear from you all about fav spots to eat along the road.

Sounds like there's a story there...

Here is an earlier thread covering much the same material; here's another. A lot of your decisions will depend on how far from I-95 you want to wander: I've taken this trip several times and it's always a dilemma.

How many hours a day are you driving? It's about a 12 hour trip from Philadelphia to Savannah-- NJ will be a little more, of course. That makes it a good destination for the first night: here's a thread on Savannah, and another. Plenty of good eating there.

On your way up to Ocracoke, head through Wilmington, and eat at the Yacht Basin Provision Company in Southport. It's a fun, funky place with great seafood. In Ocracoke, I liked Harold's okay, and had an absolutely horrible meal at the Atlantic Cafe.

Georgia Pig - last exit in Brunswick off I-95 S (or first N). get off the exit, turn left at the light, across from the Mobil station is this place. great Brunswick stew, phenomenal slaw and good pork sandwiches. bring a few bottles of sauce back

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We have consulted Holly Eats with great success, also chowhound, and I have an old copy of Real Barbecue--a have a few favs of our own--but they happen to fit into a quick 2 day run--this time we'll take a little more time so we can maybe try a few different places.

Lately we have enjoyed Moore's, Ralph's and Allman's --BBQ places--what do you love?

On the way back we'll be camping --would like to stop in St Augustine for a few days, then to Beaufort SC, then on to Ocracoke for the previously scheduled vacation time.

Zoe

If you're traveling on Friday or Saturday, Sweatman's BBQ in Holly Hill SC should be a must stop -- if they're not on vacation. Otherwise, I'd hit McCabe's or D&H in Manning SC.

In Jacksonville FL, you should hit the Blue Boy Sandwich Shop -- possibly the top combination of great food and proximity to I-95. I learned of this place from a Jax native on Chowhound and it is truly a great eatery.

First off--I read the old threads that you posted, Andrew--thanks!--lots of info there--all duly noted and appreciated

How many hours a day are you driving? It's about a 12 hour trip from Philadelphia to Savannah-- NJ will be a little more, of course. That makes it a good destination for the first night: here's a thread on Savannah, and another. Plenty of good eating there

Andrew, this sounds tempting--I hadn't thought of Savannnah, but it looks like there are tons of great places to eat there from that thread--we were thinking of a shorter day, but why stay on an interstate motel when we could be having an experience instead?

In Ocracoke, I liked Harold's okay, and had an absolutely horrible meal at the Atlantic Cafe.

should have mentioned, we've been going to Ocracoke for 20 some years--and I agree--not much in the way of good eating out there--we mostly buy seafood and cook it--but I do like --I forget whether it's The Back or the Front Porch--it's a big screened in room with overhead fans, nothing fancy, but the catch of the day cooked nicely, with rice and a salad--more like home cooking than anything--but done with integrity.

And for fun we like The Jolly Roger--a big outdoor deck restaurant on the water--you can watch the boats come in, and the sunset, drink pitchers of beer and have decent fish and chips.

Haven't been to Wilmington--that's another thought--have been wanting to check it out--it looks charming.

suzilightening said--

Georgia Pig - last exit in Brunswick off I-95 S (or first N). get off the exit, turn left at the light, across from the Mobil station is this place. great Brunswick stew, phenomenal slaw and good pork sandwiches. bring a few bottles of sauce back

I forgot about this place!--it is good--my brother lives in St Simons and we always hit the Ga. Pig either coming or going.

chantilly bob said--

If you're traveling on Friday or Saturday, Sweatman's BBQ in Holly Hill SC should be a must stop -- if they're not on vacation. Otherwise, I'd hit McCabe's or D&H in Manning SC.

In Jacksonville FL, you should hit the Blue Boy Sandwich Shop -- possibly the top combination of great food and proximity to I-95. I learned of this place from a Jax native on Chowhound

Sweatmans is a definite stop--and the Blue Boy in Jax --gotta try it now

thanks for all the tips--oh, I can't ewait to be eating all this great food--and a personal goal of banana pudding at every meal must be met.

Andrew, this sounds tempting--I hadn't thought of Savannnah, but it looks like there are tons of great places to eat there from that thread--we were thinking of a shorter day, but why stay on an interstate motel when we could be having an experience instead?

There you go. Just leave early and drive real fast and you'll have plenty of time in Savannah. You'll enjoy it; it's a great city.

And be sure to report back! Especially if you have any new discoveries..

HollyEats is dead on regarding this custard place called Carls in Fredricksburg, VA. My wife and I stop almost every time we head to DC. It's about 8 minutes off the highway and almost always another 8 minutes in line.

My sister got married this weekend. For a second, I thought you might be family... It wasn't something we were expecting, but she is. So there you go. Buy your mom a dark chocolate milkshake at Carls.

~Ed

For a second, I thought you might be family... It wasn't something we were expecting, but she is. So there you go. Buy your mom a dark chocolate milkshake at Carls.

Ed--I'd have preferred to be at your sister's wedding--other peoples' families are fun--your own can make you crazee!