• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaoliang rice

Dejah

My s-i-l wants to make a seven grain congee. The recipe included kaoliang rice.

We don't know what this is. Is there a common name for this grain? I imagine only Asian grocers would carry this?

Any information would be appreciated.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hi! I'm sure someone knows more than me, but I would think that kaoliang is 高梁 (gao1liang) i.e. sorghum, rather than a type of rice.

I'm afraid that I've only had it really in fermented form, so haven't ever bought it before. But I hope that helps in some way.... !

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

Sorghum are normally use make high alcohol liquor like Kao Liang and Mao Tai. It is also widely use in various parts of Africa to brew sorghum beer. In the western world sorghum are malted and transformed to a syrup form as sweetening agent.

So which 7 grains are listed in that recipe?

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Sorghum are normally use make high alcohol liquor like Kao Liang and Mao Tai.  It is also widely use in various parts of Africa to brew sorghum beer.  In the western world sorghum are malted and transformed to a syrup form as sweetening agent.

So which 7 grains are listed in that recipe?

Thanks, Fenyi and Azian.

I'm going over for my mom's official "by sun" meal. I'll get a list of the grains.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I asked my mum today about this and she did confirm that it is sorghum that you need as one of the grains (she listed them off, but I can't remember all of them...millet was definitely in there as well). Mind you, she might be referring to only the very Northern Chinese varient of it....

She says that the good sorghum should have a reddish tinge and that you can also use the boiled grains in a cold salad -kind of like couscous -(which was a dish apparently very popular in Manchuria in her childhood).

I hope you can find it - my mum said that it's not easy to find in Canada (at least in Vancouver) and suggested that barley may be a possible substitute... perhaps.

Hope this helps and here's wishing you luck with the recipe!

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

Thanks Fengyi. My s-i-l is going into Winnipeg today and will check for the sorghum. I didn't see it in our health food stores. May have to send down USA for it. :laugh: I wonder if she could ask the Chinese herbalist... :hmmm:

We have been so busy eating and visiting with my sister from Vancouver that I forgot to get the list of grains. I do remember it had millet, black rice, pearl barley, kaoliang rice.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com