• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Place for a reunion Saturday lunch off the M40?

Hi,

I will be visiting friends in the UK, and we have planned to meet up for lunch on a Saturday. There will be about 10 of us, including one young child.

As some of these friends live in the Reading / Maidenhead area, while others live up in the Redditch area, we thought that it would make sense to find some mid-point off the M40. Places like Banbury, Bicester, and Oxford have sprung to mind, but none of us really know the restaurants / family pubs in that area that would be a good fit for a group of our size (and child-friendly). I'm also at a disadvantage that I currently live in the US, and haven't been to that area of the UK in over ten years, so I really have no idea :sad:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, informal place for lunch that takes reservations for a group?

Thanks!

Jason

One of my all time favourites is The Crazy Bear at Stadhampton. Fun, quirky and excellent food - choice of either Continental or Thai which is especially good. You can see a bit of their stuff at www.crazybeargroup.co.uk or contact them for information about booking and child-friendliness. They have a great garden so long as you don't let the little one climb into the pond with the koi. Enjoy.

Bernice

Hi,

I will be visiting friends in the UK, and we have planned to meet up for lunch on a Saturday.  There will be about 10 of us, including one young child. 

As some of these friends live in the Reading / Maidenhead area, while others live up in the Redditch area, we thought that it would make sense to find some mid-point off the M40.  Places like Banbury, Bicester, and Oxford have sprung to mind, but none of us really know the restaurants / family pubs in that area that would be a good fit for a group of our size (and child-friendly).  I'm also at a disadvantage that I currently live in the US, and haven't been to that area of the UK in over ten years, so I really have no idea  :sad:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, informal place for lunch that takes reservations for a group?

Thanks!

Jason

Like you we haven't lived in the Uk for a while. Last time we did we lived not too far from Oxford.

"The Trout" just outside the city was a great standby. Pub/ restaurant & did take reservations for the restaurant side.

Not great, but adequate food as I recall. Great location on the river with swans & so forth.

Very well known in the area so maybe one or more of your friends can give/get an update.

Well, there's Le Manoir, although it might be a bit on the pricey side. :smile:

The Trout is ok, fairly typical pub food but nothing spectacular. Its a nice riverside setting. Also on the river is Cherwell boathouse: it's a restaurant rather than a pub, but handy if you wanted to go punting before or after.

The King Arms at Sandford lock: bog standard pub chain food, but you can watch the boats trying to go through the lock or walk up and down the river. Googling for opinions came up with The Kings Arms at Sandford has to be one of the best family pubs in Oxford, if not THE best. although rather bizarrely the other two reviews on that web page are about a different Kings Arms.

Off river: The White Hart is a mile or so up the road from the Trout and does good food. The Mole Inn at Toot Baldon is another good restaurantish pub.

One of my all time favourites is The Crazy Bear at Stadhampton. Fun, quirky and excellent food - choice of either Continental or Thai which is especially good. You can see a bit of their stuff at www.crazybeargroup.co.uk or contact them for information about booking and child-friendliness. They have a great garden so long as you don't let the little one climb into the pond with the koi. Enjoy.

Bernice

Hi,

I will be visiting friends in the UK, and we have planned to meet up for lunch on a Saturday.  There will be about 10 of us, including one young child. 

As some of these friends live in the Reading / Maidenhead area, while others live up in the Redditch area, we thought that it would make sense to find some mid-point off the M40.  Places like Banbury, Bicester, and Oxford have sprung to mind, but none of us really know the restaurants / family pubs in that area that would be a good fit for a group of our size (and child-friendly).  I'm also at a disadvantage that I currently live in the US, and haven't been to that area of the UK in over ten years, so I really have no idea  :sad:

Thanks!

Jason

I booked a meal for a lor a large group and rooms at the Crazy Bear for our honeymoon a couple of years ago.A fortnight before the wedding they e-mailed and informed me that they had just realised that the dates involved covered a bank holiday weekend and that the prices qouted would therefore be doubled.take it or leave it. We left it.

Hinds Head, Bray?

good call

but not exactly midway between Maidenhead and Redditch so you'll condemn the Redditch people to a 2+ hour drive (although to be fair even Oxford is going to be an hour and three quarters for them).

Hinds Head, Bray?

good call

but not exactly midway between Maidenhead and Redditch so you'll condemn the Redditch people to a 2+ hour drive (although to be fair even Oxford is going to be an hour and three quarters for them).

aw c'mon, it's a hop skip and a jump from maidenhead :raz:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the suggestions. In the end we went to The Old Trout in Thame, a few miles off the M40 at Junction 7. This worked out great - they had a table set up for us in a room aside from the main dining room. Food was well prepared, price was right, and the service was friendly. While they did not have a specific children's menu, they easily handled the needs of our friend's four year old son.

Jason