• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tampa Bay Sushi

rmhokies

Yoko's

My girlfirend and I went to Yokos on South MacDill last night for dinner. One of the best sushi meals I've had. We ordered Chirashi and then had some eel, a spider roll and spicy tuna roll. The variety of sashimi in the Chirashi was enough for two. The eel was fat and juicy. The spicy tuna was tasty, but we agreed the spicy tuna crunch roll looked better. We ate at the sushi bar, and the chefs were great. They were joking with the patrons while preparing the sushi.

I plan to go back again, some time soon for sure.

Thanks! My sister-in-law and I are going to Tampa next weekend and we might want a sushi restaurant. Does anybody have any other suggestions that might rival Yoko's?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thanks!  My sister-in-law and I are going to Tampa next weekend and we might want a sushi restaurant.  Does anybody have any other suggestions that might rival Yoko's?

Susan,

You might want to try Toki Sushi in North Tampa. They are less than a mile away from Jasmine Thai on North Dale Mabry. They are on the east side of North Dale Mabry in the same shopping center as I believe a Houlihan's and Kobe Japanese steakhouse. They are a couple of doors down from a wine shop. Here is their website: Toki Sushi also there is a more comprehensive listing of sushi places from the Tampa Bay Sushi Society. I have no clue if the society is active or not but the website is still up. Tampa Bay Sushi Society

I have always found Toki to be fresh. My litmus test for freshness is how fresh the soft shell crab is in a spider roll. Real scientific huh :huh: But, as you know, a lot of sushi places are owned/run by Chinese and Koreans. As best as I can tell, Toki is owned by Japanese people.

Also, there was a conversation on the other board ( rhymes with chowpound ) that the sushi chef at TC Choy's in South Tampa was very good. TC Choy's is a Chinese restaurant which is in the South Howard/Hyde Park district so you could probably go for a nice walk afterwards.

Hope that helps.

--Steve

That will help, Steve! Thanks. So far, we have tentative plans for sushi (I think I'm leaning more toward Toki than Yoko's) and Thai in Tampa, and Ming's Bistro for Chinese in Orlando. The weekend would be complete if we were to find a highly recommended Vietnamese restaurant! (Any Tampa Vietnamese ideas?)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.