• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Philly Day - 8/3/06

KatieLoeb

Hey everybody, check THIS out!

I'm a bit skeptical of the "special menu items" being offered at several restaurants, particularly the Kobe Cheesesteak Slider at Barclay Prime. Even at half price or whatever (I shudder to ask what full price might be at the home of the $100 cheesesteak) it probably isn't such a great deal.

There are several great deals though. Happy hour at Davio's with $5 martinis and those yummy cheesesteak spring rolls to munch on is definitely a deal. The three course prix fixe at Prime Rib looks intruiguing and the prix fixe dinners at Penne, Caribou Cafe, Marigold and Matyson all look worthy of a look see.

Philly Magazine is also picking up the cost of metered parking from 8th-20th Streets and from Locust Street - JFK Blvd. Special "Best of Philly" parking meter covers will be on the designated areas.

Looks like a fun event. I might be seen bellying up to Davio's bar that afternoon...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The first restaurant listed--Alma de Cuba, mentioned a Foie Gras Cubano.

DAMN! Just when I thought it was safe to save money and eat in, this comes along.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

The first restaurant listed--Alma de Cuba, mentioned a Foie Gras Cubano. 

DAMN!  Just when I thought it was safe to save money and eat in, this comes along.

Tell me about a foie gras cubano.. I just dont see it going together very well. Perhaps the medianoche bread might be good with foie gras.. But the rest of the filling doesnt sound too good..

I just called Matyson and as their chef is on vacation, they have no idea as what their prix fixe dinner is going to be nor how much it'll cost. They took my number to call me back when that's determined. If anyone is interested, I'll post their reply.

Thanks so much for the alert, Katie!

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

I just called Matyson and as their chef is on vacation, they have no idea as what their prix fixe dinner is going to be nor how much it'll cost. They took my number to call me back when that's determined. If anyone is interested, I'll post their reply.

Thanks so much for the alert, Katie!

Their weekly 5 course prix fixe usually runs $45 and I wouldn't be surprised it it's the same for this 1 day... Do post please.

EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So of COURSE it's on the same night as the latest pizza tour!!!    :shock:

Quoting Charlie Brown:

AAAAUUGGGGGHH!!!

Hope y'all don't bail on me...

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm a bit skeptical of the "special menu items" being offered at several restaurants, particularly the Kobe Cheesesteak Slider at Barclay Prime.  Even at half price or whatever (I shudder to ask what full price might be at the home of the $100 cheesesteak) it probably isn't such a great deal.

if it's anything like the rittenhouse row festival thingy, it's probably going to be about five bucks. but keep in mind, it's a slider. meaning, three bites or so.

I got an email with Marigold Kitchen's menu. Four courses for $40.

First Course

Tuna Carpaccio with Pickled Eggplant and Tabouleh

or

Organic Green Salad with Strawberries and Bulgarian Feta

Second Course

Corn Vichyssoise with Warm Foie Gras

or

Caraway Gnocchi with English Peas and Sheep's Milk Cheese

Third Course

Leg of Lamb with Roasted Eggplant and Turkish Coffee

or

Seared Monkfish with Shrimp and Golden Beets

Fourth Course

Mocha Float with Almond Cream

or

Roasted Peach with White Chocolate Shortcake and Black Pepper Ice Cream

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I heard back from Matyson.

Indeed, it will be their weekly prix fixe 5 course tasting menu for $45. As such, it should be posted here: Matyson Tasting Menu soon.

I was told that the theme will be "Let's Get Tipsy" in that each course will be prepared w/ some type of wine or spirit.

Here's the menu for Matyson as website is still showing last week's tasting menu.

Let's Get Tipsy

Lobster Bisque

Wood aged bourbon

Seared Foie Gras

Port and red grape reduction, pine nut cracker

Tequila Smoked Shrimp

Stuffed plantains, lime salsa

Vanilla Rum Soaked Pork

Hush puppies, braised Swiss chard

Gran Marnier Créme Brulée

I just looked through the list thinking about plans for an out of town guest and I had to ask you guys... Is anything there actually a special? It just looks like the usual prix fixe meals and happy hours all those places usually offer to me. What a gimmick...

Well, I went to Good Dog,

GOOD DOG

Winner 2005

Special: Happy Hour

$2 (half price) local microbrews

Well, the "microbrew special" wasn't during their regularly scheduled happy hour time, but rather from 7-9. I would have stuck around until 7, except that it was about 130 degrees in there.

I hit Happy Hour at Davio's with a friend for their $5 cosmos and some really great passed hors d'oeuvres. They had pizza, cheesesteak spring rolls with spicy ketchup, lamb chops, potato chips with smoked salmon, mushrooms with tuna tartare, and some sort of crabmeat thingie that were all really good. And they were passing the good eats frequently. MarketStEl made it just in time to catch the tail end of Happy Hour. Definitely a Best of Philly Happy Hour!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Unfortunately (so to speak), all they were passing around by the time I got there was the pizza. Well, I did have one of the potato chips, but I missed everything else.

No matter. I did catch up with Katie and her friend.

The crowd at Davio's is the preppiest I've run across in quite some time. Lotsa WASPs buzzing about the place.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3