• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What/Who is a "Foodie"?

My hubby and I had a "debate", shall we say, over the definitiion of a foodie.

I say that a foodie is one who is up for trying any kind of food, loves many types

of foods, lives for food, etc.

He says that a foodie is one who travels all over the world trying various cuisines.

Now I know that a lot of foodies have done extensive traveling, but because I

have not, does that mean I am not?

Hubby says I am a "foodie-wanna-be". :angry: I say, I am a foodie all-the-way!! :raz:

In your opinion, what makes a foodie a foodie??

The fine people at Wikipedia seem to think the word is a synonym for 'gourmet', saying that "the word was coined synchronously by Gael Greene and by Paul Levy and Ann Barr, co-authors of The Official Foodie Handbook (1984)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodie

Here's an article called "What is a foodie, anyway?"

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/02/10/what-is-a-foodie-anyway/

Here's the Urban Dictionary entry for the term.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foodie

My take on "foodie" is someone who is seeking out very specific dining experiences, whether it involves travel or not. Also it can be someone who is willing to take the time and expense of tracking down authentic ingredients, again travel or no travel.

The fact that I'd be willing to drive 8 hours to get an authentic Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwich from Pat's or 4 hours to get an authentic deep dish pizza from Chicago makes me a foodie. The fact that I drive 30 minutes to get farm fresh eggs twice a month instead of getting eggs at the local supermegamart which is only 5 minutes away makes me a foodie.

I think it's the dedication to authenticity that makes one a foodie.

:biggrin:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

A foodie is anyone interested in food. The diversity and complexity of foodies must be as endless as the all the recipes of all the cuisines of all the world!

Serious Foodie Class in Vancouver

I think that one of the greatest assets that you can arm you children with is an essential awareness to food. Food gives sensual, gustatory and emotional enjoyment. It is a form of nourishment, social communication and allows you to connect with others. IT's a form of education in topography, geography and culture.  I, for example, begin with my grandchildren when they are one month old by cracking herbs under the noses. This way I'm beginning to fulfill their sensual memory with the wonderful smells of food.
Lydia Bastianich on raising foodie children :wink:

50 Things every Foodie Must do, From the Observer's Food Monthly :shock:

article by Timothy C. Davis: The Moodie Foodie

As labels go, "foodie" has to be one of the worst. It has to do, I think, with the "ie" at the end, a frivolous sounding little suffix that makes most anything sound a little goofy. "Foodie" conjures up images of "cooties," "roofies," and The Goonies. I mean, why make up such a cute little word at all? I'm a fan of wine, but I don't call myself a wino (though others might).

Foodies.com describes a foodie this way: "On the curriculum vitae of a foodie, 'eating' is listed as a hobby. The foodie lives to eat, and to eat to live is definitive boredom. A true foodie clings to all things culinary. From soup to nuts, a foodie seeks out the fun stuff about fine fare, along with the arcane, the academic, the in--depth, and the latest. To find the perfect cheese or the best macaroon recipe is life's work."

A foodie, then, is a collector of knowledge, a food scholar. A person that just likes a good ham biscuit, steak or piece of fried chicken? Might as well shoot that poor sumbitch. He only knows what he likes, not what he should like or might like.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A foodie is anyone interested in food. The diversity and complexity of foodies must be as endless as the all the recipes of all the cuisines of all the world!

This is my definition as well. Very simple. Someone that has an interest in food. A food hobbyist. And that interest takes a different form in different people. Some are more interested in restaurants and dining out. Some more in the culture and history of various cuisines. Some more in exotic ingredients. Some more in finding the best recipes for chicken spaghetti and chocolate cake to serve his/her family. Some in finding the newest and most-cutting edge preparations with which to entertain and delight their guests.

I find efforts to make it something perjorative, thereby separating the superior "us" from the inferior "them" extremely disheartening and an example of one of the less-attractive aspects of the human character.

And I think this particular negative interpretation of this perfectly fine word can be traced directly to one man that started one website, and in large part in order to advance his site, decided to make disparaging remarks about others that were, one supposes, NOT on his website.

The fact that others were so quick to pick up on it, and to immediately pronounce themselves part of the "superior class" of "food people" is disgusting. And a history lesson. Because if we'll do that so quickly when it comes to something as wonderful and inclusive and innocuous as food, it's easy to see why we'll do it when it comes to something as important as class in other areas of society. Somebody tells us we're "better" and boy, you'll get no argument from us. We ARE better.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My take on "foodie" is someone who is seeking out very specific dining experiences, whether it involves travel or not. Also it can be someone who is willing to take the time and expense of tracking down authentic ingredients, again travel or no travel.

The fact that I'd be willing to drive 8 hours to get an authentic Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwich from Pat's or 4 hours to get an authentic deep dish pizza from Chicago makes me a foodie. The fact that I drive 30 minutes to get farm fresh eggs twice a month instead of getting eggs at the local supermegamart which is only 5 minutes away makes me a foodie.

I think it's the dedication to authenticity that makes one a foodie.

This reminds me of something Trillin wrote. "There came a time when Alice began to refer to a certain sort of people I have corresponded with over the years -- the sort of people who are particularly intense about, say, seeking out the best burrito in East Los Angeles -- as "food crazies."

In my mind, a foodie is a food nerd/geek, and also somewhat snobby, elitist, trendy, fussy, etc. And they're also amateurs (i.e. they've never gone to culinary school and/or worked as a cook/chef). I think such a definition is necessary because I just can't bring myself to label somebody like Anthony Bourdain as a foodie - to him, the dining experience is irrelevant (he'll eat anything, anywhere), it's the food itself; to a foodie, they usually seem to expect to fine dining atmosphere and great service and foods that are high end. Even though AB is becoming more and more of a (gack) TV personality (I think he needs to get back in a kitchen pretty soon).

In my mind, a foodie is a food nerd/geek, and also somewhat snobby, elitist, trendy, fussy, etc. And they're also amateurs (i.e. they've never gone to culinary school and/or worked as a cook/chef).

I think such a definition is necessary because I just can't bring myself to label somebody like Anthony Bourdain as a foodie -

Well, according to my definition, a foodie is a food hobbyist. Which by its definition means not a professional. Without, you know, all the derogatory crap.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

In my mind, a foodie is a food nerd/geek, and also somewhat snobby, elitist, trendy, fussy, etc. And they're also amateurs (i.e. they've never gone to culinary school and/or worked as a cook/chef).

I think such a definition is necessary because I just can't bring myself to label somebody like Anthony Bourdain as a foodie -

Well, according to my definition, a foodie is a food hobbyist. Which by its definition means not a professional. Without, you know, all the derogatory crap.

Yeah, so? Doesn't mean that food hobbyists are (somewhat) snobby, elitist, trendy, fussy, etc. But I think there's more to being a foodie than just being a food hobbyist.

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

The Slashdot article says foodie is just an alternative to gourmet or epicurist, since the latter two have negative, elitist connotations -- but I've also seen people say that foodies are elitists... Of course, in this day and age, you risk being called an elitist if you breath through your nose -- much less admitting to such extreme uber-snobbery as not liking McDonalds very much...

Now people who cook, and people who don't cook can both be labelled foodies. Still, just because you cook doesn't automatically make you a foodie. Yet, methinks there ought to be two different words, to distinguish between foodies who cook, and those who don't...

Wow. The various definitions and meanings to different people really run the

gamut. I never ever realized that the term had slightly negative connotations.

I think most people in this forum are foodies to some extent, but I don't think the term is all-encompassing.

I have a definite "interest" in food. I am interested in where it comes from, how

it is made, how it tastes, what is the culture, etc etc. I love trying new restaurants

and the atmosphere does make a difference - usually. That being said, I have

eaten in some hole-in-the-wall places, (The Cultured Pearl, a small Mexican dive

in Baltimore, MD, for instance) The only thing going for it was literally paper

table coverings with crayons. But, the food was exceptional. To some, considering

atmosphere may mean that I am not a true foodie, and that atmosphere should make no difference.

I may make the assumption that Tony B is a foodie, and some may say even more

so than others, because to him, atmosphere is a non-issue. Look at the places he

has been. He could be in a hole in the wall and have the best food experience

imaginable. It is all about the food.

Yeah, so? Doesn't mean that food hobbyists are (somewhat) snobby, elitist, trendy, fussy, etc.

No more so than any other segment of the population.

I'd even say less so.

In fact, the more I think about it, my 'foodie friends' possess none of those negative qualities. To the contrary, they are convivial, accepting, inclusive, welcoming, knowledgeable, adventuresome and open-minded. And a hell of a lot of fun. I think there's something about being interested in, and sharing, food that lends itself to more positive traits in the best of the "come break bread with me" tradition.

And you'd be invited to any of their gatherings anytime. Unless of course you yourself are snobby, elitist, trendy, fussy, etc. And probably, even then.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Wow.  The various definitions and meanings to different people really run the

gamut.  I never ever realized that the term had slightly negative connotations.

I think most people in this forum are foodies to some extent, but I don't think the term is all-encompassing. 

I have a definite "interest" in food.  I am interested in where it comes from, how

it is made, how it tastes, what is the culture, etc etc.  I love trying new restaurants

and the atmosphere does make a difference - usually.  That being said, I have

eaten in some hole-in-the-wall places, (The Cultured Pearl, a small Mexican dive

in Baltimore, MD, for instance)  The only thing going for it was literally paper

table coverings with crayons.  But, the food was exceptional.  To some, considering

atmosphere may mean that I am not a true foodie, and that atmosphere should make no difference.

I may make the assumption that Tony B is a foodie, and some may say even more

so than others, because to him, atmosphere is a non-issue.  Look at the places he

has been.  He could be in a hole in the wall and have the best food experience

imaginable.  It is all about the food.

Actually, to add to my last paragraph, it is also about the culture and spirit.

Yeah, so? Doesn't mean that food hobbyists are (somewhat) snobby, elitist, trendy, fussy, etc.

I'd even say less so.

In fact, the more I think about it, my 'foodie friends' possess none of those negative qualities. To the contrary, they are convivial, accepting, inclusive, welcoming, knowledgeable, adventuresome and open-minded. And a hell of a lot of fun. I think there's something about being interested in, and sharing, food that lends itself to more positive traits in the best of the "come break bread with me" tradition.

And you'd be invited to any of their gatherings anytime. Unless of course you yourself are snobby, elitist, trendy, fussy, etc. And probably, even then.

Brava, Jaymes! I think your two posts are so right-on I won't try to add more.

Er, edited to add: The Foodie, Food-Crazy or Gourmand makes up 95% of my family and friends. To me, it counts as normal.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'd even say less so.

Er, edited to add: The Foodie, Food-Crazy or Gourmand makes up 95% of my family and friends. To me, it counts as normal.

Foodie.

No more so than any other segment of the population. I'd even say less so.

Foodie.

:laugh:

At work (in a restaurant - does that void my foodie status? :raz: ) I usually drink iced tea on hot days when it gets really really hot in the kitchen, and today I decided to get a mint iced tea rather than just regular old "iced tea," (there's also a cafe, so I have a large selection of teas to choose from). Unlike the regular iced tea, the mint has to be individually brewed. When my coworker gave it to me, she said, "you're really high maintenance with your iced tea," to which I replied, "I'm not high maintenance, I'm a foodie." I think that sort of sums up a foodie to me - somone whom a non-foodie might think of as high maintenance when it comes to food, but is actually just trying to eat/drink/whatever things that are better than the iced tea that's been sitting there all day. It's about going the extra mile for better food, whether it means travelling, searching far and wide, spending a few extra dollars or a little extra time in the kitchen.

Ehhhhxcellent!

I recently went to a Fireman's Carnival and waited almost fifteen minutes on a bench across from the stand selling corn dogs until all the 1/2 hour old corn dogs were sold so I could get a freshly made one. I think that's a good example :smile:

Thanks,

Eric

The fact that I'd be willing to drive 8 hours to get an authentic Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwich from Pat's ... makes me a foodie.

From Pat's? Well, maybe. The hard core foodie route would be to skip the obvious (or even historically important) steak and go for the best steak, from Steve's, or Tony Luke's, or Dalessandro's, or (insert list here).

And the real black belt foodie would skip the cheese steak entirely, and instead focus like a laser beam on a roast pork sandwich.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Pure love of food.

For instance, I quit a good legal job in New York and moved to Italy, where I studied wine and ate my way up and down the peninsula for a year. I guess that makes me a foodie (or an idiot).

;)

The fact that I'd be willing to drive 8 hours to get an authentic Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwich from Pat's ... makes me a foodie.

From Pat's? Well, maybe. The hard core foodie route would be to skip the obvious (or even historically important) steak and go for the best steak, from Steve's, or Tony Luke's, or Dalessandro's, or (insert list here).

And the real black belt foodie would skip the cheese steak entirely, and instead focus like a laser beam on a roast pork sandwich.

The point I was trying to make wasn't that it was from Pat's, Geno's, or any of the other numerous places in Philly to get a good cheesesteak sandwich. The point was that I was willing to drive from Cleveland to Philadelphia in order to buy an authentic one.

:rolleyes:

That being said, I've only had Pat's and Geno's ... but I know about Dalessandro's and Tony Luke's ... perhaps my next visit to Philadelphia will be about doing those two. Then again, I still love the roasted pork sandwich at George's Sandwich Shop on 9th Street.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I've always thought the term "foodie" referred to pretentious people who collect Michelin stars, but don't necessarily know much about food/cooking.

Maybe it's the air-quotes thing...I dunno. I really hate the term. In my own experience--present company excluded, of course--people who refer to themselves as foodies are those who actually know the least about food. They are the kind of people who will rave about a mediocre meal at a top restaurant because the restaurant has a reputation, and is expensive. They can't see past the price tag, the ambience, and the polished service and realize that the food itself is not that great. They are ones who wrinkle their noses at things like tripe or tendon, and instead order the $70 filet mignon.

Edited by Ling (log)

From answer.com:

food·ie (fū'dē) pronunciation

n. Slang.

A person who has an ardent or refined interest in food; a gourmet: “in the culinary fast lane, where surprises are expected and foodies beg to be thrilled” (Boston Globe).

Translations for: Foodie

Dansk (Danish)

n. - en der er yderst interesseret i den seneste kogekunst

Nederlands (Dutch)

iemand zeer geïnteresseerd in eten

Français (French)

n. - amateur de bonne bouffe

Deutsch (German)

n. - Gourmet

Ελληνική (Greek)

n. - καλοφαγάς

Italiano (Italian)

buongustaio

Português (Portuguese)

n. - pessoa (f) muito interessada em culinária

Русский (Russian)

гурман, любитель поесть

Español (Spanish)

n. - gastrónomo

Svenska (Swedish)

n. - matfantast (vard.)

中文(简体) (Chinese (Simplified))

类似食品的东西, 美食主义者

中文(繁體) (Chinese (Traditional))

n. - 類似食品的東西, 美食主義者

한국어 (Korean)

n. - 미식가, 식도락가

日本語 (Japanese)

n. - 美食家, 調理が好きな人, 食通

العربيه (Arabic)

‏(الاسم) مولع بالأكل و الطبخ‏

עברית (Hebrew)

n. - ראשו ורובו באוכל, אנין טעם

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

They are ones who wrinkle their noses at things like tripe or tendon, and instead order the $70 filet mignon.

I know I've taken one sentence out of context from a post that I otherwise agree with, but this kind of reverse snobbery annoys me almost as much as the "must eat at 3-star restaurants" kind of snobbery. I'm not accusing you of this, Ling, this sentence merely put me in mind of it. I'm quite sure you're as happy with good 3-star dining as the rest of us, and I know exactly the kind of people you are referring to. I despair of them also, so I'm on your side, but...

Why shouldn't someone choose filet mignon over tripe? Why should that imply that they know nothing about food? Is it necessary to eat and enjoy offal to be considered a "real" foodie? Can one not delight in expensive ingredients well-cooked as much as inexpensive ingredients well-cooked? In my limited experience in such matters, these things very rarely indicate interest in food or otherwise. People project their own food values onto others and base their decision on whatever is reflected. This is the difficulty of food as a hobby, and coming up with a suitable word for anyone interested in it.

For the adventurous foodie who seeks out obscure dishes from all over the world, happy to try anything everywhere, the more off-putting to everyone else the better, the Michelin tourists could never be considered real foodies. But for those wealthy enough to seek out top-level food at the best restaurants in the world, looking for the very best ingredients, the very best execution, in comfortable surroundings with top-notch service, where food is to be treated with reverence, then those who delight in eyeballs and plates of squirming tentacles could not be considered real foodies. Most of us are somewhere in the middle of these extremes, but it can be hard for those at one end to understand those at the other.

So what's a foodie then? I have no idea!!

Si