• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas in July 2006

Susan in FL

There's only a week left this month, and I just recently remembered a great time of year for beer lovers, Christmas in July (CIJ). I better get with the program!

What Christmas/winter holiday beers have you tasted this month, or plan to taste? How were they after six months, or some years later for those who save some vintage beers?

Do any of the beer bars you visit have a CIJ celebration this month, or are any winter holiday brews on tap?

After I remembered, I chilled and drank an Anderson Valley Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale, and put a few more in the fridge. The Anderson Valley went great with a sandwich and it was surpringly hearty and smooth -- not too heavy on the spices for me, which sometimes is the reason I don't care for these kinds of special brews. I think I appreciated it better this time around than I did during the winter.

So, here's what I found in the cool bottom of my bedroom closet and now have in the fridge waiting: Troegs Mad Elf Holiday Ale (I think this is two or three years old); Old Dominion Winter Brew 2005; Sierra Nevade Celebration Ale, 2000 and 2005; Pyramid Snow Cap Winter Warmer (I think this is pretty old; if I recall correctly, I don't like this much); and Anchor Brewing Co's Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2003.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Hey Suzie Q! In between changing lots of diapers and chasing the twins around the house (theyre already walking and crawling!!!), I've managed to still make our weekly beer chat on Friday nights at midnight on starchat.net (still the "No Bull Inn" chat room), and we've been Christmasing for the past 3 weeks. So far I've enjoyed 04 and 05 Sierra Nevada Celebrations, Long Trail Hibernator, and 04 Old Dominion Winter Brew (an Impy Stout that year), Weyerbacher Winter, Otter Creek Alpine Ale, Rude Elf Reserve from Bethlehem Brew Works, and Anchor Our Special Ale from 03.

Every one a stellar brew.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Hey Richie! It's hard to believe your twins are growing like they are.

I just finished my 2003 Anchor Brewing Co. OSA. Though it's not my kind of beer, I think the three years have done it good. It's dark in looks and taste. The first thing I thought of was a Porter, but I would want a Porter to be drier. This is one of those beers that I don't describe well. I tend to focus on what I don't like about them rather than what's good about them -- in this case I don't care for the sweet malt and sticky pine flavors.

So we also have the Sierra Nevada Celebration 2005 in common... I'm looking forward to that, and the 2000. You mentioned that the Old Dominion 2004 is an Impy Stout ; do you know what the 2005 is?

Hey Richie!  It's hard to believe your twins are growing like they are.

I just finished my 2003 Anchor Brewing Co. OSA.  Though it's not my kind of beer, I think the three years have done it good.  It's dark in looks and taste.  The first thing I thought of was a Porter, but I would want a Porter to be drier.  This is one of those beers that I don't describe well.  I tend to focus on what I don't like about them rather than what's good about them -- in this case I don't care for the sweet malt and sticky pine flavors.

So we also have the Sierra Nevada Celebration 2005 in common...  I'm looking forward to that, and the 2000.  You mentioned that the Old Dominion 2004 is an Impy Stout ; do you know what the 2005 is?

Sue, the 2005 is supposed to be a Celebration type winter IPA, more than a regular IPA, but not quite an imperial IPA.

Hi, Lloyd! Still after all this time, we can depend on you to jump in with answers. There should be a beer trivia game show for you to win and get rich and famous. You could be the Ken Jennings of Beer Information.

Hope all is well! Nice to see you.

Man, it's been a while since I've had an OSA. I'm sure I've seen it around, too- I'll have to get some now that you've put me in the mood.

From the Winter Beer file (but not exactly a Christmas beer)- I just love SN's Bigfoot during June and July when they still retain a good bit of the fresh hoppiness but aren't as aggressive as they are in Feb and March. It also helps that I can get it at a discounted price :hmmm:

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Michael, do you have access to various years of Bigfoot that you can purchase? (If you say yes, I will probably be contacting you via PM to talk about that. :biggrin: )

• 2 weeks later...

July has passed, but I am still tasting some holiday beers. One of the most pleasant surprises for me was the Pyramid Snowcap. This was much better than I remember it, when it was new. I failed to post about this right after I drank it, or take notes, so I can't say much more than that. I am happy to say I do have more of this, and I'll try to remember to write about it more quickly next time.

Today I had the 2000 and the 2005 SNCAs side by side. The 2000 was a little darker, more of a brown color, and cloudier. It has less head and some sourness. It tasted better with food (a Thai style chicken salad) than alone. I did not finish this bottle of beer, because what poured out from nearer to the bottom of the bottle was not so good. The 2005 was more orangy in its clarity and color. It didn't have a lot more head than the 2000, but it was noticeable. No sourness, and good flavors of citrus and apricots (notice how I so confidently stated that about the apricots). It might have lost a little of its body next to the food, but was still really good, and I did finish it.

Michael, do you have access to various years of Bigfoot that you can purchase?  (If you say yes, I will probably be contacting you via PM to talk about that.  :biggrin: )

Unfortunately, no, though I would like to try one just out of curiosity. My local shop will put out the display (10 cases or so) early in the year and they start dwindling out by this time of year. Last year the last of it went in the fall, but this past weekend I only saw one case left so I doubt it will make it to September.

I actually got the last of it in '05 (Novemberish), and wasn't so crazy about the hop quality at that time- it was sort of 'neither her nor there'. I do suspect, though, that a few years could rectify that and allow the maltiness to dominate. Unfortunately my lack of will power always seems to trump my curiosity and I just can't seem to cellar things for too long :wink:

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."