• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili Oil

glennbech

I've got some very armoatic Red/Green chilli oil brewing in my kitchen.

I made it by chopping up about 500g of red and green chillies into random size chunks, and dropping them into about 1 liter of vegetable oil. It's been swimming around in the oil for 3 days. The oil now has the characteristic "capsicum/red pepper" aroma, with a real evil sting at the end .-)

Im not sure how Im going to use 1 liter of super hot chilli oil though Did anyone try to make chilli Aioli/Bernaise/Mayo?

chilli Aioli
Might be pretty good if you go easy on the chilli oil.

Don't think the other two would work too well as they're both reasonably delicate flavours & the chilli could overwhelm the other flavors.

Adding a bit of your 'killer' oil might make for a formidable salsa!

Also, add a bit (instead of olive oil & hot sauce) to a gaspacho.

And, of course, one of the classic chilli oil uses is on pizza.

I take no responsability for seared taste buds!

... I talked to a mexican collegue of mine, and he definitly suggested Chiilli Mayo. They use it on sadnwiches, pizzas and everything over there...

I should probably also mince my chillies to a paste after draining them.

Hmm... Not bad... 1 Liter of chilli oil, and half a kilo of paste for $8 .-)

Edited by glennbech (log)

you could also use to make eggs or cook steak.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I've been dying to make chile oil, too! I usually only use it on pizza, but I like it drizzled on french fries, eggs, fried rice, etc. and I like to add it to mabodofu to add a bit more spice. I think chile mayonnaise sounds great as a french fry dip!

When you made it, did you heat the oil and/or use dried chilis? I've been too lazy to go through that whole process, and am too afraid of botulism to try it otherwise! :unsure: I'd be interested in your method if it's easy and toxin-proof!

I've been dying to make chile oil, too!  I usually only use it on pizza, but I like it drizzled on french fries, eggs, fried rice, etc. and I like to add it to mabodofu to add a bit more spice.  I think chile mayonnaise sounds great as a french fry dip!

When you made it, did you heat the oil and/or use dried chilis?  I've been too lazy to go through that whole process, and am too afraid of botulism to try it otherwise!  :unsure:  I'd be interested in your method if it's easy and toxin-proof!

You can avoid all risk of botulism with the chinese method:

Heat peanut oil or any of the safer high temperature oils such as grapeseed, in a wok until just smoking. A high BTU gas burner (30-50,000 BTU's) is preferred, and it is better to do this on the patio, as there will be plenty of acrid fumes.

Drop in two or three handfuls of chopped dried red chiles, or as much as the oil will take, and fry at high heat for a few minutes.

Cool and drain. The resulting oil will be very hot, and last for several weeks stored at room temp.

I've been dying to make chile oil, too!  I usually only use it on pizza, but I like it drizzled on french fries, eggs, fried rice, etc. and I like to add it to mabodofu to add a bit more spice.  I think chile mayonnaise sounds great as a french fry dip!

When you made it, did you heat the oil and/or use dried chilis?  I've been too lazy to go through that whole process, and am too afraid of botulism to try it otherwise!  :unsure:  I'd be interested in your method if it's easy and toxin-proof!

You can avoid all risk of botulism with the chinese method:

Heat peanut oil or any of the safer high temperature oils such as grapeseed, in a wok until just smoking. A high BTU gas burner (30-50,000 BTU's) is preferred, and it is better to do this on the patio, as there will be plenty of acrid fumes.

Drop in two or three handfuls of chopped dried red chiles, or as much as the oil will take, and fry at high heat for a few minutes.

Cool and drain. The resulting oil will be very hot, and last for several weeks stored at room temp.

This is even easier in the microwave as long as you have a big enough bowl for it to not splatter everywhere.

PS: I am a guy.