• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Even more wines with food

Florida Jim

With a salad of orange slices, avocado, arugala and citrus vinaigrette with green olives:

2004 Girardin, Puligny-Montrachet Les Folatieres:

Big, oaky, young and viscous; an interesting but ultimately, unsatisfying white burg.

Price unknown.

With crab chowder:

The above wine.

With squid salad and bruschetta with asparagus:

2004 Pepière, Muscadet:

Precise, clean, authentic and beautifully balanced. Twice the wine of the preceding bottle for $10. I’d buy it again at that price and more.

With fresh figs with honey, Manchego cheese and walnuts:

1990 Château Suduiraut, Sauternes (375 ml):

Bronze color; rich and apricot on the nose; sweet, dried fruit on the palate with good acidic lift and no caramel notes; long, sweet finish. About $35; I’d buy it again at that price.

Afterthought:

2001 Dom. Jean-Jacques Confuron, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Fleurières:

Powerful scents of black and red fruits, some earth; clear flavors that follow the nose without artifice or oak, balanced, concentrated, crisp and quite long. Showing young, not especially NSG but very clean and honest. A delight to drink on its own – I can only imagine how good it would be with food. Price unknown.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim, have you ever found a Girardin that is truly satisfying. Personally (and I am sure that there are plenty of people out there who would disagree with me) I find Girardin's wines overly commercial and no where near good enough for him to be considered one of Burgundy's great producers. For me, I find his Rully and Santenay (clos de la Combe Dessous) to be the best value for money wines.

Jim, have you ever found a Girardin that is truly satisfying. Personally (and I am sure that there are plenty of people out there who would disagree with me) I find Girardin's wines overly commercial and no where near good enough for him to be considered one of Burgundy's great producers. For me, I find his Rully and Santenay (clos de la Combe Dessous) to be the best value for money wines.

Honestly, I don't buy his wines but am always happy to try a bottle someone else brings.

For much the same reasons as you . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com