• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1 Year anniversary dinner

sadistick

So I am in the midst of planning a 'tasting menu' dinner for my GF for our anniversary.

I would like to have 5 or 6 courses, of smaller plates. I am trying to pair these (but not necessary) with an older Bordeaux we will be having for this celebration.

So far, I have...

Peaches and cream bisque with seranno ham

-Insert another "app"

Something with Fava beans

Grapefruit Ice

Seared lamb chops on a bed of caramalized root veggies

Sliced duck breast on grilled white peaches with aged balsamico

-Insert idea here

Cheese course

Warm Lindt chocolate souflee/cakes

Thats what it looks like so far, still have about a month, but I want this one to be special, so planning in advanced is required.

Thanks in advance :smile:

-Justin

Justin,

What a lucky girl!!

Have you ever attempted making foie gras at home? I bet that would be stupendous.

It all sounds fantastic! She will be blown away.

P

Edited by LoveToEatATL (log)

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Hey P,

As good as Foie Gras is, I strongly disagree with how they treat the animals (extreme force feeding via tubes inserted deep down the throats), thus I refuse to eat it anymore, as sad as that is.

But good idea regardless.

-Justin

well i have a few suggestions...

first, what exactly is peaches and cream bisque? sounds too sweet to be a first course, might want to try a melon soup (if you want to stick with the fruit based soup idea), that would pair better with serrano ham.

second, the grapefruit ice (i am assuming you mean granita) should be served before the cheese course.

third, the lamb chops need to be seasoned somehow, id go with a parsleage (lots of parsley thymne and stone ground mustard) the root veg are nice, but to contrast textures puree one of your choices. this creates a "bed" for the further root veg and the lamb

4., the duck sounds good, reduce the balsamic down to a syrup though and dont used anything past a 10 year age, youll just be wasting your money (if you are going to reduce it).

5., and finally i might put up another dessert instead of another course before cheese

good luck. oh and will you be pairing wines?

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

dj, some great ideas!

I am trying to plan this dinner around a '82 Lynch Bages and possibly a NCT oak aged chard.

The peaches and cream referring to the corn...just a milk and corn soup blended and sived then reduced a bit, thought that some salty seranno ham would contrast nicely with the slight sweetness of the corn.

When you say the ice should be served before the cheese course, do you mean in general, or directly before?

Referring to the lamb chops, I was planning on searing them on high heat to caramalize, would you put your seasoning on after then? finishing in the oven?

I like the idea of puree'ing one of them, I was thinking beets, yams and one more root veggie...havent decided, which would you puree? Also, what sauce would you suggest in order to pair well with the lamb/wine?

Was planning on using a 15y/o balsamic w/o reducing.

Interesting idea on 2 desserts, but the chocolate one I am planning is so rich I think 2 would be too much. I was thinking on some lighter dish before the cheese course...obviously still thinking.

Edited by sadistick (log)

How about raw oysters as an appetizer? Or another seafood because you don't have seafood on the menu yet. :smile:

Maybe celeriac as your other vegetable puree?

I would use Valrhona for the souffles (or Michel Cluizel or Amedei if you can get some). What are you serving with the souffles?

ETA: That is really sweet, what you're doing for your gf. I know she will love it no matter what you make! :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

I do enjoy raw oysters, however, the GF is allergic to some of my favourite seafoods (Oysters, Shrimp, Lobster, scallops) so thats a bit of a bummer! Keep the ideas coming though, I still have about 2 menu slots to fill!

Celeriac would be good, although I must admit, I have never cooked with it before, but like the idea, maybe that will be the puree - prepare it just like potatoes?

I am actually using Lindt Surffin for the souffles, as I have many many lbs of it already :) Serving with the souffles...not too sure, maybe some strawberries mascerated in grand marnier and sugar?

She is already giddy with anticipation of the dinner, although I must stand firm and not divulge what I am making! hehe

App?

Wine centric

Tuna Tartare with shiso, watermelon & truffle oil

Not so Wine centric

Slow roasted baby roma tomato w Meyer lemon oil and aged balsamic drizzle

Entree?

Wine centric

Beef tenderloin over raclette and creamed spinach with soy & black truffle demi.

Not so Wine centric

Sweet potato gnocchi with chorizo, marjoram, and smoked paprika butter

dj, some great ideas!

I am trying to plan this dinner around a '82 Lynch Bages and possibly a NCT oak aged chard.

The peaches and cream referring to the corn...just a milk and corn soup blended and sived then reduced a bit, thought that some salty seranno ham would contrast nicely with the slight sweetness of the corn. 

When you say the ice should be served before the cheese course, do you mean in general, or directly before?

Referring to the lamb chops, I was planning on searing them on high heat to caramalize, would you put your seasoning on after then? finishing in the oven?

I like the idea of puree'ing one of them, I was thinking beets, yams and one more root veggie...havent decided, which would you puree?  Also, what sauce would you suggest in order to pair well with the lamb/wine?

Was planning on using a 15y/o balsamic w/o reducing.

Interesting idea on 2 desserts, but the chocolate one I am planning is so rich I think 2 would be too much.  I was thinking on some lighter dish before the cheese course...obviously still thinking.

ok good idea with the corn soup, good flavors, infuse a little thymne in there, that would be killer.

i was suggesting the the granita be served directly before the cheese course. you are intending it to be a palate cleanser right? so thats where it will serve its purpose best.

lamb chops, serve them quickly on all sides to carmelize, coat with the mixture of parsley thymne (perhaps some tarragon also) and stone ground mustard. press in gently and finish chops to med rare in an oven preheated to 400*. (***NOTE: you could sear the lamb chops and coat them with the parsleage earlier in the day and just pop them in the oven to finish cooking. this would also give you time to make that pan sacue so you wont be flying around like a chicken with your head chopped off when you should be enjoying the company of your loved one.)

i normally roast root veg all together (i also suggest throwing in a bit of rosemarry, thyme, to accent the lamb chops), but youre using beets and those will bleed into the other ingredietns. either dont use beets or roast them seperately. yams, beets, and i suggest celeriac, parsnip, or sunchoke puree. as for a sauce for this dish, it would be pure bliss to make a pan sauce after searing the lamb chops, saute a few shallots/garlic to golden brown and deglaze the pan with the wine you will be serving with dinner, perhaps add a little lamb or beef stock if you ahve it around, if not then jsut a little water. reduce untill desired consistency. im salivating thinking about it.

if you do deside to go with 2 desserts just amke a lighter one to go before the choc one. perhaps a red wine poached pear with vanilla creme.

as you would surmise from my post and my sig i do these exact types of things for a living. good luck with yours and be sure to tell us how it went!!!

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

Gordon - Interesting idea with the tuna tartar...you think that would pair well with an older bordeaux???

dj, I was planning on using the granita as a palate cleanser...so before the cheese course it is. How long (approx) will the lamb need in the oven at the 400*, they will probably be small to medium sized...I am fairly comfortable judging by touch, but just curious.

Sounds good on the roasted veg - probably will do a celeriac puree, maybe a bit of truffle oil in it...for the pan sauce, i dont think I could bring myself to use a '82 Lynch to deglaze, but ILl use some other red wine and some lamb stock.

Thanks for the help folks.

Gordon - Interesting idea with the tuna tartar...you think that would pair well with an older bordeaux???

dj, I was planning on using the granita as a palate cleanser...so before the cheese course it is.  How long (approx) will the lamb need in the oven at the 400*, they will probably be small to medium sized...I am fairly comfortable judging by touch, but just curious. 

Sounds good on the roasted veg - probably will do a celeriac puree, maybe a bit of truffle oil in it...for the pan sauce, i dont think I could bring myself to use a '82 Lynch to deglaze, but ILl use some other red wine and some lamb stock.

Thanks for the help folks.

We drank CDNP with it and it wasn't bad - far from fantastic but more for experimental value. I was thinking your Chard though.

dj, I was planning on using the granita as a palate cleanser...so before the cheese course it is. How long (approx) will the lamb need in the oven at the 400*, they will probably be small to medium sized...I am fairly comfortable judging by touch, but just curious.

yeah i certainly wouldnt deglaze with the '82, any left over red or palateable 6 buck bottle from the store will certainly do along w/ lamb stock.

celeriac puree--use white truffle oil if youre going to do this (if you have it). you sound well educated on food so i wont touch on the differing flavor profiles from different truffles.

lamb--with the oven preheated and you not opening the door every few seconds, id say 5-8 minutes if its coming off the stove from searing, perhaps 8-12 if seared earlier and are reheating, but these are mere ESTIMATES, i always go by touch and you should too if you know how.

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

Only problem with the GF and multiple bottles is she is a lightweight when it comes to booze :raz:

I guess I could have a glass or two of the chard and cork it, then focus my attention on the Bordeaux :biggrin:

dj - I dont believe it is white truffle oil...I will have to investigave.

Do you have any suggestions for another food pairing that would work well with that wine?

Cheers.

Only problem with the GF and multiple bottles is she is a lightweight when it comes to booze  :raz:

I guess I could have a glass or two of the chard and cork it, then focus my attention on the Bordeaux  :biggrin:

Do you have any suggestions for another food pairing that would work well with that wine?

Cheers.

If want to showcase the wine - do a grilled portabello over mixed greens and maybe a bleu cheese or green goddess drizzle, a beef course, and the chocolate course

Only problem with the GF and multiple bottles is she is a lightweight when it comes to booze  :raz:

I guess I could have a glass or two of the chard and cork it, then focus my attention on the Bordeaux  :biggrin:

Cheers.

ok, if your GF is light, i would suggest just opening the '82 and leaving the chard for another day. this way you'll be able to fully focus on that wine and track its course over the course of the night (and post a WTN the next day in the eGullet wine section). if you guys want to further indulge after the '82 is gone, just whip up some dirty martinis ofr something.

i think we should work on the progression of the menu...

1.) Corn soup

--pop the '82, if youre going with one bottle like i suggested dont have it with the corn soup, it will clash and shouls be opened and poured before this course, which i suggest---

2.) Sauted sweetbreads on a bed of spring mix coated in walnut vinagrette, blue cheese and rosted beets.

3.) (you wnated something with fava beans) i suggest... Medallions of roasted rabbit loin with Butternut squash purree, sauted black trumpet mushroom, and fava beans ragout.

4.) Duck with peaches

5.) Lamb Chops

6.) Grapefruit granita (a note on this...be sure to ad some sugar and a shot of vodka to the liquip before you begin to chill/scrape it, this will make for a smoother product, more like sorbet and less like an ice cube.)

7.) Cheese course

8.) Chocolate

wow, you have your hands full. hope your good with a chefs knife and a sate pan.

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

Gordon - I was thinking mushrooms as well, however, I am not fond of Portabello's - How would shitake or Morells work?

Sweetbreads hmmm, I do love those...definetly a good idea. Rabbit is a no go as my GF is quite fond of thumper and refuses to eat it. I was thinking as Gordon suggested to do one meal where I sear off in a pan a nice NY Strip steak and cut it very thin, maybe serve that with a nice crumbled blue? Or would the blue overpower the wine?

For the granita, i always mix the fresh juice with a few shots of simply syrup...good idea on the vodka though.

Should be a lot of work, but hopefully worth it, the Global knives are sharp, and pans ready to roll!

Gordon - I was thinking mushrooms as well, however, I am not fond of Portabello's - How would shitake or Morells work? 

Sweetbreads hmmm, I do love those...definetly a good idea.  Rabbit is a no go as my GF is quite fond of thumper and refuses to eat it.  I was thinking as Gordon suggested to do one meal where I sear off in a pan a nice NY Strip steak and cut it very thin, maybe serve that with a nice crumbled blue?  Or would the blue overpower the wine?

For the granita, i always mix the fresh juice with a few shots of simply syrup...good idea on the vodka though.

Should be a lot of work, but hopefully worth it, the Global knives are sharp, and pans ready to roll!

yeah im in the same boat with that, my wife is fond of small animals too. once i tricked her into eating squab and then told her what it was--yeah, i was making up for that one for weeks.

the rib eye does sound quite nice. try coating it in Kona (or other high quality) coffee. and searing it med rare youll be amazed. Morels are the way to go if you can find them. my fav mushroom (simply sauteed in a little shallot and butter). if you do a beef course it should come after the duck and before the lamb.

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

Sweetbreads hmmm, I do love those...definetly a good idea.  Rabbit is a no go as my GF is quite fond of thumper and refuses to eat it.  I was thinking as Gordon suggested to do one meal where I sear off in a pan a nice NY Strip steak and cut it very thin, maybe serve that with a nice crumbled blue?  Or would the blue overpower the wine?

Morels? Make a mushroom tart - morels are too nice to use in a salad.

A straight blue may overpower (Maytag, Cabrales) -maybe a Stilton butter or similiar?

Realistically speaking , you realize that if this is a sit-down dinner, your girl will spend most of the time by herself while you fire the courses. If the kitchen is so equipped, park her on the island with you at the stove while you prepare each course in front of her. Always works for me

Yah, Its a pretty big kitchen with a large island facing inwards, so she gets to watch me cook, and she loves that.

I wonder how Morels and Fava beans would go together, could be really nice actually!

So the menu looks like this atm:

1, Peaches and Cream corn bisque with seranno ham

2, Sauteed Morels w/ fava beans

3, Duck breast with peaches and aged balsamico

4, NY Strip sliced with sea salt

5, Lamb seared and roasted coated in herbs n mustard with celeriac puree and roasted beets and yams

6, grapefruit and vodka granita

7, cheese course

8, Lindt chocolate soufles

sounds good so far...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...