• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desperately seeking sugar snap peas

So the Rutherford farmers' market opened today, and major bummer - no snap peas! The Matarazzo guy said that the season is already over.

In past years they've always had them available for the first few weeks that the market has been open. This year's weather patterns must have bumped up the crop schedule.

I am major depressed. Is this going to be a year with no snap peas?

Please help! If anyone spots peas that are reasonably local (i.e., Whole Foods has 'em from Guatemala or someplace, but I'm not quite desperate enough to go that route yet), please post the info here.

I know it's the end of the season, but I'm hoping that peas from further north may find their way into these parts.

Thanks!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

So the Rutherford farmers' market opened today, and major bummer - no snap peas! The Matarazzo guy said that the season is already over.

In past years they've always had them available for the first few weeks that the market has been open. This year's weather patterns must have bumped up the crop schedule.

I am major depressed. Is this going to be a year with no snap peas?

Please help! If anyone spots peas that are reasonably local (i.e., Whole Foods has 'em from Guatemala or someplace, but I'm not quite desperate enough to go that route yet), please post the info here.

I know it's the end of the season, but I'm hoping that peas from further north may find their way into these parts.

Thanks!

Did you try Jerry's in Fort Lee? Also the farmers market next to Staples, by BJ's on Rt 17 may have them.

>>>Did you try Jerry's in Fort Lee? Also the farmers market next to Staples, by BJ's on Rt 17 may have them.

Which BJ's? The one near Garden State Plaza, or another one?

kenp

So the Rutherford farmers' market opened today, and major bummer - no snap peas!  The Matarazzo guy said that the season is already over.

In past years they've always had them available for the first few weeks that the market has been open.  This year's weather patterns must have bumped up the crop schedule.

I am major depressed.  Is this going to be a year with no snap peas?

Please help!  If anyone spots peas that are reasonably local (i.e., Whole Foods has 'em from Guatemala or someplace, but I'm not quite desperate enough to go that route yet), please post the info here.

Thanks!

John from StarLight Farm ("John the organic guy") had sugar snap peas at the Montclair farmers market last week.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'm sure you will be able to find them, but I doubt they will be local. We are seeing the last of our local sugar snaps up here, and frankly they aren't very good. This entire growing season was lousy due to the cooler and wetter spring and summer. Sweet cherries and strawberries were lousy and waterlogged. The sour cherries are a little better but still too watery...I think we will be enjoying the first tomatoes sometime around Thanksgiving the way things are going!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

>>>Did you try Jerry's in Fort Lee?  Also the farmers market next to Staples, by BJ's on Rt 17 may have them.

Which BJ's? The one near Garden State Plaza, or another one?

kenp

In East Rutherford.

In the Princeton area, the only place that had them, in .5 pts for members, was Honeybrook organic Farm...at least that I knew of. WF had them, but I am pretty certain they were not local....I think its the rain...

Just wanted to thank everyone for the edifying responses.

Yep the strawberry crop also came to an early end, none at the market either.

At least the peaches seem to have done OK. Nothing beats a locally tree-ripened peach.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845