• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need recs for Briarcliff Manor

Jeff L

I'll be in this area in a few weeks and would love suggestions for lunch and dinner. Please no touristy places just the real deal. Any kind of food prepared well is good although I'm partial to steaks and great Italian food simply prepared. I also love sushi so this would fit the bill too.

Thanks in advance.

10 miles down in White Plains is a fantastic Italian restaurant - Mulino's

http://www.mulinos.us/

Now, full disclosure, my company did their website, but the meals I've had their are fantastic, it's real deal Italian as good as any I've have had in Manhattan, and certainly their consistent clientele speaks volumes -

Edited by raji (log)

I haven't been there in awhile, but the steakhouse Flames is a very strong Peter Luger imitator.

Flames Steakhouse 914.923.3100

533 North State Road, Briarcliff Manor

You're also going to be very close to Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Ah, Flames. It's actually pretty good. Blue Hill is very close; try now to get a table and if not, at least stop by for a visit and a drink.

Yama Sushi -- I love it. We have it delivered so I've never actually been there (now, how weird does that sound?).

Amalfi Restaurant - in the middle of town, pretty good food.

I'd avoid Terra Rustica, also on State Road.

If you want a local experience, head up to Rocky's MIllwood Deli, just a few miles up route 100. It's an institution.

Do you want to travel from Briarcliff, or stay close to that town?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I'll be travelling to New Haven CN the next morning (weekday by the way) so I don't mind eating outside of town. I'd like to sample some of New Haven's famous pizza, i.e Sally's, Pepe's, etc also. I assume these pizza joints are open for lunch no?

Sally's is never open for lunch. Pepe's is open for lunch on Friday and Saturday only.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Ah, Flames.  It's actually pretty good.  Blue Hill is very close; try now to get a table and if not, at least stop by for a visit and a drink.

Yama Sushi -- I love it.  We have it delivered so I've never actually been there (now, how weird does that sound?).

Amalfi Restaurant - in the middle of town, pretty good food.

I'd avoid Terra Rustica, also on State Road.

If you want a local experience, head up to Rocky's MIllwood Deli, just a few miles up route 100.  It's an institution.

OMG ROCKYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all i have to say about that.

[OMG ROCKYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all i have to say about that.

OK, you got my attention. What would you order if it was your last time there?

Chicken cutlet wedge with swiss, letuce, tomayo, mayo.

OR

Double-egg, bacon and cheddar on a toasted roll.

OR

Steak and cheese.

Its hard to F-up at rockies. Open 24-7 as well. Enjoy your coversation with the village retard behind the counter if you wander in during the graveyard shift.

Its hard to F-up at rockies. Open 24-7 as well. Enjoy your coversation with the village retard behind the counter if you wander in during the graveyard shift.

Hey! I didn't know anyone noticed I went back to work ... :wink:

My kids choices: Steak and cheese, on a wedge; American combo with provolone. Spouse likes grilled cheese and tomato. Don't be put off by a long line during rush hours; it moves fast.

My kids choices: Steak and cheese, on a wedge; American combo with provolone. Spouse likes grilled cheese and tomato. Don't be put off by a long line during rush hours; it moves fast.

Excuse me but what is a wedge as it relates to this sandwich? Is it merely bread cut in the form of a wedge, I'm confused.

Also steak and cheese to a Philly guy sounds like not the real deal. Where I'm from they're cheesesteaks! :smile:

Excuse me but what is a wedge as it relates to this sandwich? Is it merely bread cut in the form of a wedge, I'm confused.

Also steak and cheese to a Philly guy sounds like not the real deal. Where I'm from they're cheesesteaks! :smile:

A wedge is a synonym for hero. It just happens to be the operative verbage in Westchester, I guess.

The steak and cheese I get at NY delis is usually far superior to the cheez whiz mess I've experienced in Philly. Thats a thread for another day, I'm sure...

A wedge is a synonym for hero. It just happens to be the operative verbage in Westchester, I guess.

The steak and cheese I get at NY delis is usually far superior to the cheez whiz mess I've experienced in Philly. Thats a thread for another day, I'm sure...

Thanks for the clarification on wedge.

You've obviously gone to the wrong cheesteak places in Philly, but alas another thread indeed.

I grew up in Westchester.

That a wedge is a hero, and didn't even make it over the border between the 'Chester and the Bronx, is one of few things the 'Chester can call it's own... that, and the Dragon coaster, I guess.

I didn't know what a wedge was when I moved here (I only knew from Wedgies :laugh:). Wedge refers to the bread, I always thought -- a grinder/sub bun, longish, versus the round "roll." In Ohio, our 'wedges' were called 'hoagies.'

In order to give directions to my house, I use Rocky's as a landmark. During that Great Blackout of 2003, Rocky's was the only place that still had power. Wish I'd gotten a photo.

My younger son doesn't like fried onions on "date night;" when he ordered Philly Cheesesteak there, no onions, the woman on the line chided him about it! Gotta love that place.

My younger son doesn't like fried onions on "date night;" when he ordered Philly Cheesesteak there, no onions, the woman on the line chided him about it!  Gotta love that place.

That's considered sacrilege in Philly! I'm leaning toward that double egg bacon and cheddar. Nothing like that here.

Don't mean to change the conversation here, but I think Briarcliff Manor is close enough to Blue Hill at Stone Barns for you to give that a try. I must confess I wasn't as blown away by the place as a lot of people are; it felt to us a little bit like a sustainable-foods theme restaurant. But it's a cool place and a pretty room, and the food IS good.

Susan

Edited to add: Oops. Just realized someone already slipped this in up thread. Sorry.

Edited by SusanGiff (log)