• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Things Blueberry

Suvir Saran

Ok,after this post I promise to leave you alone :smile:

I love to make a balsamic syrup with a little raw sugar and pour them over berries while still hot,then slice a little procuitto and parmesan and make some crostinis with the berry sryup naped over them warm

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

I've made Blueberry Bananas Forster, Tapioca pudding with blueberries, Blueberry granite, Blueberry trifle, Blueberry & Pineapple upside-down cake, blueberries and shrimp, fried shrimp, baked shrimp, shimp and potatoes, shrimp sandwich, shrimp lo mein, ............oooops

Make a cobbler.

Throw them in a baking pan w/ a bit or sugar and lemon juice tossed in. Find an easy biscuit recipe, add a little extra sugara to the mix and a little less flour to get a more runny moist biscuit. Then just very roughly dump the biscuit mix onto the blueberry mixture in the baking pan and bake. Don't cover the blueberries 100%, leave some room for them to bubble up. Dehydration will help to keep from becoming too watery. If your blueberries are real large and plump then they are going to release alot of water. Another tip is to add a tablespoon or two of fine tapioca mix to the blueberries. Acts similar to cornstarch to make a thicker sauce.

Enjoy. Man, now I wish I had an extra lb. of blueberries lying around!

Suvir,

I just got my new Art Culinaire in todays mail.

Theres a great looking recipe by Michael Stadtlander from Ontario.

It's a lemon foam with wild blueberry compote,it looks easy to make.

If you would like i'll post the recipe

Make a cobbler. 

Throw them in a baking pan w/ a bit or sugar and lemon juice tossed in.  Find an easy biscuit recipe, add a little extra sugara to the mix and a little less flour to get a more runny moist biscuit.  Then just very roughly dump the biscuit mix onto the blueberry mixture in the baking pan and bake.  Don't cover the blueberries 100%, leave some room for them to bubble up.  Dehydration will help to keep from becoming too watery.  If your blueberries are real large and plump then they are going to release alot of water.  Another tip is to add a tablespoon or two of fine tapioca mix to the blueberries.  Acts similar to cornstarch to make a thicker sauce.

Enjoy.  Man, now I wish I had an extra lb. of blueberries lying around!

APPS411,

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds wonderful. What kind of a baking pan do you use?

I do not have tapioca at home? What I have are large pearls. And the berries are plump and big... suggestions??

Thanks again. :smile:

I once had a recipe, since lost, for a blueberry tart that was made with a cornmeal crust. I think it had ground almonds in it too. The crunchy cornmeal crust with the juicy sweet berries made a nice mouthful. It was from an old Food & Wine magazine about Italian desserts. Vanilla ice cream is killer with this. If you figure out the recipe., let me know.

Suvir,

Top them with a cream made of one third lemon curd and two thirds Chantilly (sweetened whipped cream). Or, make a tart shell, fill it with this cream and cover with blueberries. Sprinkle with icing sugar just before serving.

I also like (baked) covered blueberry pies.

Suvir---your welcome.

I just use a 9x9. or a ceramic oval baking dish. Use whatever works so that you berry layer is only about an inch deep.

Don't use the big tapioca beeds. here's two options.

add a small amount (1 tsp.) of cornstarch in the berry mixture - or - crush you tapioca beeds into a powder using a mortar and pestle or a heavy pan pressed against a cutting board. I would rather you do the crushed tapioca because it is very hard to judge the amount of corstarch to add when you don't exactly know how much moisture the berries are going to release.

Suvir,

Top them with a cream made of one third lemon curd and two thirds Chantilly (sweetened whipped cream). Or, make a tart shell, fill it with this cream and cover with blueberries. Sprinkle with icing sugar just before serving.

I also like (baked) covered blueberry pies.

Lesley,

Interesting that you suggest that. I made last week the following pie. It seems close to what you suggest. I was in the mood to try something I have never made before.

BLUEBERRY-LEMON PIE

Lemons are one of my favorite ingredients. I can never have enough of them. In this recipe, I use lemon curd to make a pie that is at once easy and delicious. While lemon curd is not as popular in the US, it is quite enjoyed in the UK and even India. Blueberries add a nice sweetness and color to the tart pie. Once I served it to a French friend that is very fastidious about what he eats, he was wanting to hate this pie served in a bowl, but after having finished his serving, he asked for more. It is this addictive quality of this tart that makes it a winner in my repertoire.

CRUST

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into 8 pieces

2 cups of crushed Nila wafers

FILLING

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

1 1/2 cups lemon curd (recipe page 000)

TOPPING

3/4 cup fresh blueberries

1/4 cup sugar

juice of one lemon

Confectioners sugar for garnish

1. In the cuisinart blend the butter and wafer crumbs into a mixed mass. Press this firmly into a buttered 9-inch pie dish. Wrap with plastic and place in the freezer for 45 minutes.

2. In a large bowl whisk the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the lemon curd into the cream. Spoon this into the pie crust and chill overnight.

3. A couple of hours before serving, toss the fruit with the sugar and lemon and macerate in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.

4. When ready to serve, top the pie with the berries and dust with confectioners sugar if desired.

Suvir---your welcome. 

I just use a 9x9.  or a ceramic oval baking dish.  Use whatever works so that you berry layer is only about an inch deep. 

Don't use the big tapioca beeds.  here's two options. 

add a small amount (1 tsp.) of cornstarch in the berry mixture  - or - crush you tapioca beeds into a powder using a mortar and pestle or a heavy pan pressed against a cutting board.  I would rather you do the crushed tapioca because it is very hard to judge the amount of corstarch to add when you don't exactly know how much moisture the berries are going to release.

Thanks APPS411. :smile:

Will make the crumble and report back to you.

How much tapioca should I use with a pound of berries?

I once had a recipe, since lost, for a blueberry tart that was made with a cornmeal crust.  I think it had ground almonds in it too.  The crunchy cornmeal crust with the juicy sweet berries made a nice mouthful. It was from an old Food & Wine magazine about Italian desserts.  Vanilla ice cream is killer with this.  If you figure out the recipe., let me know.

That sounds amazing Jaybee.

Will do some detective work. Will call a friend at Food and WIne and see if they know how one could get that recipe.

Will share with you any success I have. :smile:

Jaybee --- I know what your talking about. It was a recipe for blueberry tartlets. Very rustic and great. The cornmeal in the crust made the dessert. I serve them alot. Super easy to make and you can do them ahead of time with any combination of fruits. I noticed thea they were actually better when reheating in the conv. oven.

I have the recipe home, I'll find it this weekend and post it. I usually serve them w/ some caramel sauce and fresh whip cream w/ polmagranite syrup. Ice creams great too though.

Jaybee --- I know what your talking about. It was a recipe for blueberry tartlets. Very rustic and great. The cornmeal in the crust made the dessert. I serve them alot. Super easy to make and you can do them ahead of time with any combination of fruits. I noticed thea they were actually better when reheating in the conv. oven.

I have the recipe home, I'll find it this weekend and post it. I usually serve them w/ some caramel sauce and fresh whip cream w/ polmagranite syrup. Ice creams great too though.

APPS, you don't know how happy you've made me. I made this twice and then lost the recipe. The crust, exactly. It makes the dish. Turned the house upside down looking for it. Great news. :biggrin::biggrin:

I also have a recipe for a rasberry/pine nut tart that is wonderful.. I think I got it from one of the Silver Palate cookbooks. It always knocks people out when I serve it.

suvir--- Honestly I just wing it. The best cobblers that I had looked like they fell on the floor before making it to the oven. Just throw globs of the wet biscuit mix onto the berries. High spots, low spots it doesn't matter. Then cook the cobbler according to the biscuit directions and check to ensure that the thickest biscuit section is cooked through. As for biscuit recipes, I don't have a reall tried and true recipe, i'm always trying somthing different. You could actually use a simly box mix or even a thick pancake batter.

I've never had two cobblers that came out the same. Unique is exciting. That's why I hate recipes. There just suggestions anyway right?

Jaybee I was happy even though I have never tasted what you have...

I sent APPS a PM saying so.

What a wonderful thing to have happen... I was very touched.

I would love this recipe you speak about... It too sounds wonderful. Maybe you can post it on a thread of its own maybe?

You must be a soul mate of mine when it comes to desserts. You love Tarte Tatin as much as I .. and your sensibilities towards desserts seem familiar... and now we have APPS who seems magical in her timing. :raz:

I feel lucky you both posted here. Thanks!

APPS, when you have a chance can you tell me how long to bake the crumble for?

And also what biscuit recipe should I use. Thanks!

I don't know, but I think you just cannot beat a really good Blueberry Pie. Its simple, its tasty and blueberryie.

Other than rice crispies and pancakes, I just can't think of a better use of the beautiful blue.

Yummmmmmmmm Old fashioned All American Blueberry Pie!

Blueberry trifle, Blueberry & Pineapple upside-down cake

GordonCooks,

Thanks for your response. Do you have recipes for the two above? They sound great.

I may end up buying more berries so as to try all these recipes. :biggrin:

The trifle was just a simple layering of pound cake (brushed with lemon curd), english custard, fresh blueberries ( the kicker was simmering the half the berries in water, sugar, Grand Marnier, a shot of fresh oj into a syrup) I would make a layer of custard and drizzle in the syrup and give a few circular strokes as to "marble" the mixture. These were done single serving in big martini glasses and topped with whipped cream.

The Upside down cake was a direct and blatant verbatim rip-off of the Pineapple Polenta upside down cake in my Trotter Cookbook ( I think Kitchen sessions, but it could be the First one - I'm pretty sure it wasn't out of the "Dessert" book.)

I thought by adding blueberries, I would appease my guilt- but low and behold, I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore.

I don't know, but I think you just cannot beat a really good Blueberry Pie.  Its simple, its tasty and blueberryie.

Other than rice crispies and pancakes, I just can't think of a better use of the beautiful blue.

Yummmmmmmmm  Old fashioned All American Blueberry Pie!

Chefette,

Could you share with this East Indian the recipe for the classic All American Blueberry Pie? I would love to learn.

Thanks!

man these threads grow fast!!!!

You guys are amazing with your ideas

Suvir,here is the recipe I mentianed before.

I have not made this yet,but it looks right on.

For the lemon foam

zest and juice of 10 lemons

10egg yolks

10 oz sugar

4 sheets geltatin,saoked in cold water

4 tablespoons sour cream

7 egg whites

2 cups heavy cream,whipped to soft peaks

For the blueberry compote

2 1/2 # wild blueberries

2 cups riesling

1/2 cup maple syrup

For the garnish

Whipped cream and mint sprigs

Methode

For the lemon foam,in a double boiler,whisk the lemon zest,juice,egg yolks,and half the sugar.Whisk until thick,pale and double in volume.Add the soften gelitan to the egg mixture and whisk until dissolved and well combined.Remove from the heat,add the sour cream,and stir to combine.Transfer the bowl to an ice bath and set aside until chilled.

In an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment,beat the remaining sugar and egg whites on high speed to form stiff glossey peaks.Fold the egg whites and whipped cream into the sabayon.Mix until well combined.Cover with saran and refridgerate till firm.

For the blueberry compote

In a medium saucepan,bring half the blue berries,the riesling and 1/2 cup maple syrup to a boil.Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to 1 cup.Remove from the heat and transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth.Strain through a fine mesh sieve,and discard the solids.Add the remaining blueberries to the puree and stir to combine.Set aside in the fridge to chill,sweeten to taste with maple syrup.

To serve

Spoon some blueberry compote in the center of a plate and set a large quenelle of the lemon foam on top,pipe some whipped cream in the center and garnish with mint.

From Art Cuilinare

Recipe by

Michael Stadtlander