• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

D'Artagnan Freezer Sale

Carolyn Tillie

For those folks living in New York, you can go and pick up your selections personally, but living on the other coast, participating in the D'Artagnan Freezer Sale proved quite fun. If you buy more than $250, they will ship it for free (how could I not?). When all is said and done, I'm getting close to 40 lbs of meat for around $6.50 a pound -- selections in my order include Wagyu beef, buffalo, boar, venison, lamb, duck, rabbit liver, and much more.

Killer deal!

selections in my order include Wagyu beef, buffalo, boar, venison, lamb, duck, rabbit liver, and much more.

If your order is routed across Northern Minnesota there's a very good chance the plane could be shot down and the meat hijacked! :shock:

SB (searching for his surface-to-air missiles) :raz:

Edited by srhcb (log)

Jeez, either that's the worst website I've ever seen, or I'm a complete moron.  Where does it even say there's a freezer sale?

On the far right drop-down Categories menu on the top of the page, Freezer is the option just under Specials. The items in the freezer section are significantly cheaper than everything else on their site but doesn't actually indicate it is a sale -- it is just something that isn't there everyday of the week.

For those folks living in New York, you can go and pick up your selections personally ...

Most of us living in New York would feel lucky to have a full sized refrigerator! :raz: Can only dream of a freezer filled with D'Artagnan.

I'll have to start cleaning out my freezer to make room!

I also noticed that if you join the "Three Musketeers Club" you get a free (small) mousse or terrine with your first order. Makes the deal even more sweet.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I also noticed that if you join the "Three Musketeers Club" you get a free (small) mousse or terrine with your first order.  Makes the deal even more sweet.

Stupid me - I totally missed that!!!!

I received my order today. While I have no reason to think that the items are anything less than good, the packing and condition of the items I received was not up to their usual standards as there was some evidence of defrosting both current (minor) and possibly past. One gets what one pays for. :wink: I will try to have some of the products soon and see what kind of condition they are really in.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I also noticed that if you join the "Three Musketeers Club" you get a free (small) mousse or terrine with your first order.  Makes the deal even more sweet.

The terrine is indeed a small one. While it is good and it is free, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

The terrine is indeed a small one. While it is good and it is free, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Agreed, but I'm a sucker for anything free.

docsconz, did you do anything to the boar before grilling? Marinade/rub/plain?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

My box arrived today and I couldn't be happier -- the only difficulty being that I ordered a veal loin and a lamb loin and neither are labelled (although I am guessing that the veal loin is the lighter colored meat). Well-packed and everything frozen quite solid.

We are starting by thawing some boar kebab and venison stir fry meat; purchased deliberately to grind for a terrine! Only sorry I didn't order more!

Agreed, but I'm a sucker for anything free.

docsconz, did you do anything to the boar before grilling? Marinade/rub/plain?

You can still join with your next order :wink:

All I added was salt and pepper as I wanted to get a sense of the quality of the meat. It was delicious, enough so that I ordered more last night to be delivered tomorrow.

Twitter - @docsconz

Ok, I finally get it, thanks! Some of that stuff really is amazingly cheap. On the Wagyu, I'm remembering that Rosengarten did a big Wagyu review a while ago and said some cuts were worth it, others not so much. Does anyone have recommendations for that, or other stuff in the Freezer section?

Also, how's their frozen foie gras?  A whole 1 lb lobe of grade A for about $43 sounds like a great deal.

Surprisingy me, the product is from Canada (I'm used to Sonoma or Hudson Valley foie gras). At 1.62 pounds for Grade A for that price, it is well worth it. I haven't thawed and cooked mine yet, but it LOOKS good (no mottling on the color, firm, good size, etc).

On the Wagyu, I ordered the tongue and it looks fabulous as well; an obviously young offering with good color. Totally undecided what to do with it but am tempted to get my meat slicer out of storage and make carpaccio...

I received my second follow up order today. The packing was different, but the boar tenderloins were still partially defrosted. Given my experience the other night, I think they will be fine. I will have to remember to not let them linger too long in the freezer.

Twitter - @docsconz

Also, how's their frozen foie gras?  A whole 1 lb lobe of grade A for about $43 sounds like a great deal.

Surprisingy me, the product is from Canada (I'm used to Sonoma or Hudson Valley foie gras). At 1.62 pounds for Grade A for that price, it is well worth it. I haven't thawed and cooked mine yet, but it LOOKS good (no mottling on the color, firm, good size, etc).

On the Wagyu, I ordered the tongue and it looks fabulous as well; an obviously young offering with good color. Totally undecided what to do with it but am tempted to get my meat slicer out of storage and make carpaccio...

Once defrosted don't you have to use the whole thing in about a week, though? That seems like a lot of foie to eat in a short time. Also, does this mean you have to do the whole soaking thing to draw out the blood and try to devein the thing, etc? I've never dealt with a whole lobe and have only read about pre-preparing it in passing.

Once defrosted don't you have to use the whole thing in about a week, though?  That seems like a lot of foie to eat in a short time.  Also, does this mean you have to do the whole soaking thing to draw out the blood and try to devein the thing, etc?  I've never dealt with a whole lobe and have only read about pre-preparing it in passing.

It seems to me that foie gras has no muscle so it should be fine with multiple freezing and thawings. If not, you can always lop off a piece and just defrost that.

PS: I am a guy.

• 4 months later...

"For a limited time, raid Ariane's freezer, at very special prices."

Dartagnan is having another freezer sale. My shipment arrives Tuesday.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I was much worse this time than last... I had 72 POUNDS of meat ordered by last Tuesday, processed on Wednesday, and arrived before 10:00 a.m. on Thursday. By the time it was said and done, it averaged out to about $4.50 a pound - not bad (I think) for quail, squab, duck, poussin, boar, venison osso buco, etc...

The freezer is packed and just barely able to close - I am set for the winter!

"For a limited time, raid Ariane's freezer, at very special prices."

Dartagnan is having another freezer sale. My shipment arrives Tuesday.

Kim....is there a special area on the site for the freezer sale? I see a freezer section....but I'm not sure if these are sale prices or not?

Thanks,

Margy

Kim....is there a special area on the site for the freezer sale? I see a freezer section....but I'm not sure if these are sale prices or not?

Thanks,

Margy

Yes. Ariane's Freezer is the place to be.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan