• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats near Mercerville?

Allura

So I just got tasked with "Go check egullet for a place..." :biggrin:

We're meeting up with friends at a cross stitch shop in Mercerville (Cross Stitch & Frames Unlimited) on Saturday, and we're kicking around what to do. I don't know the area well at all. I know of a decent Chinese place in the shopping center that Gamer's Realm is in, down the road in West Windsor (?). Other friends introduced us to Mastori's the last time we were there (good bakery, huge plates, not bad food). But, my friend says "there's got to be something besides diner food & standard chinese/pizza/fast food." Knowing them, cost is a major issue, so the cheaper the better.

We can always head back closer to their house (Howell), but if there's something out Mercerville way, I'd hugely appreciate a tip off.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Very few places in the area are expensive. The exception would be Rat's and Acacia.

For very good Chinese the New Restaurant at Five Points. The place has zero ambiance but very good Chinese that is not always found in the area. Phone 609 587-8958.

Also at Five Points is Bill's Olde Taverne. It has been there for years and now that there is no smoking in NJ we will try it soon. It has received favorble reviews.

On Route 33 there are a number of choices, all relatively inexpensive and average.

Enjoy your dinner.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

One more suggestion that is different and very good.

Aladdins Palace at 2607 Hamilton Avenue, where it joins Nottingham Way. Phone 609 584-0500. Prices are reasonable.

We have been there several times from just us, two, to six and more and each time everybody, including the children, left happy.

Aaron

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I've eaten at "New Chinese" (it is in a melon colored house) and it does have zero atmosphere, but it is good.

Aladdin's is yummy, I second that rec.

Bill's - haven't been for 5-6 years, but I don't remember thinking it was a dinner destination, just a bar with decent food.

If you head down Quakerbridge Rd. to Rt. 33, take it east, there's a decent Mexican place called Chapala (it will be on right side, just past the car wash). It is BYO.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're not big drinkers, so BYO doesn't bother us. The stitching store is actually right by Five Points, and I know the two places (Bill's & New Restaurant) you mentioned, although I've never tried them. Aladdin's could be fun and different, and I haven't had Mexican in a while. Thanks!

Joanna G. Hurley

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're not big drinkers, so BYO doesn't bother us. The stitching store is actually right by Five Points, and I know the two places (Bill's & New Restaurant) you mentioned, although I've never tried them.  Aladdin's could be fun and different, and I haven't had Mexican in a while. Thanks!

I can suggest Jo-Jo's for an inexpensive, little to no ambiance place in Mercerville. Really great bar pizza, not Delorenzo's but a good pie nonetheless..

Jo-Jo's Tavern & Restaurant

(609) 586-2678

2677 Nottingham Way

Trenton, NJ 08619

Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up backtracking a bit to Jackson and the Java Moon Cafe near Great Adventure. The stitching store owner suggested the one near them, but I'd actually been to the Jackson one once before, and I think that's the original. Anyway, while a bit pricier than I had expected we'd go out for the food was good and we had a great time.

Joanna G. Hurley