• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher question

jsolomon

We also live in a small town with no kosher sources of anything. We managed to have both my sons Bar Mitzvah parties at our home and accommodated all but the most religious of our family members. The meals were set up buffet-style so people could choose what they wanted to eat without explanation. Dishes were labelled as to what they contained - the spanakopita was made with normal cheese and baked in foil pans. The only ones who still wouldn't eat it were the ultra-orthodox cousins. They had decided to leave before dinner but if they had wanted to stay I would have had commercially prepared kosher meals brought in for them by people coming from Toronto.

There was a choice of entree - one meat for most people, one totally vegetarian dish for anyone else. This was a big spanakopita which also, incidentally, was snarfled up by the non-kosher/non-vegetarian meat eaters as a side dish. It was delicious and substantial and both the vegetarians and koshers appreciated that we went to the trouble. Fish would have been ok too, but I had several vegetarian friends coming who wouldn't eat fish so decided to just make the veg option.

There were several side dishes and salads. NO BACON on any of the salads. No shrimp either. I wanted everyone to be able to eat all the rest of the stuff without having to ask a million questions.

The bar consisted of wine, beer and soft drinks. No one had a problem with unkosher wine. I think that most people whose level of kosher allows them to eat spanakopita that was prepared in my kitchen will also drink normal wine.

Desserts were no problem. There is generally nothing in dessert that would offend a kosher person, unless of course they've eaten meat - and then they'd have to have a non-dairy dessert. But this wasn't the case. And anyway, there was plenty of fruit which would have been fine.

You are doing quite a lot to accommodate these people and I'm sure it will be appreciated. But just to save yourself the headache, why don't you get in touch with them and ask them just a few questions. Then you'll know exactly what you're dealing with. Here are the questions you need to ask:

1. Will you eat dairy or fish that has not been prepared in a kosher kitchen?

2. Are regular plates and silverware ok, or would you prefer disposable?

3. Do you drink non-kosher wine or would you prefer to have kosher?

Explain what the menu will be and ask if it sounds ok to them. That's pretty much it. Have a great time - it's YOUR WEDDING!!!

Which is what I meant by stringent ... do determine the level of kashruth for them to eat first before making final decisions on the food involved ...

jsolomon: as per your request in the initial post:

easy kosher fish recipes

Melissa, I followed this link, and the smoked salmon and egg salad sandwiches look good and definitely fit in with my theme of soup and sandwiches for the reception.

Thank you so much!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.