• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do I write menu items?

Austin

I think this is the closest I'll get to a forum that might be able to answer this question: What is the accepted/proper way to write a menu item in a newspaper or magazine article?

Is it to capitalize every word: Roasted Pigeon Filet with Curry and Almond Pastille and Brochette of Giblets with Cacao-Scented Jus

Or to capitalize the first word: Roasted pigeon filet with curry and almond pastille and brochette of giblets and cacao-scented jus

Use quotes: "roasted pigeon filet with curry and almond pastille and brochette of giblets and cacao-scented jus"

Or italics: roasted pigeon filet with curry and almond pastille and brochette of giblets and cacao-scented jus

Or some bizarre combination of the above?

Help!

Austin

i would do it all (initial letter) caps. as a form of research, you can check most newspapers' (new york times, los angeles times, etc) food sections on-line and see what their conventions are.

frank bruni of the nytimes seems to not capitalize anything. i don't know if he's using the wording directly from the menu of the restaurant he's reviewing...didn't research that far back.

For what it's worth, as a reader, I agree with Alana. It looks best if you capitalize the dishes as you would capitalize other titles in English. (In Romance languages, they have a different convention, so these things aren't universal, regardless of national and linguistic variations.)

Michael aka "Pan"

In what context is the item being used? Within a sentence, I would not capitalize any of the words, thus:

Chef Bimbo created a roasted pigeon filet with curry and almond pastille and brochette of giblets with cacao-scented jus.

As a menu or title item, I would only capitalize the first word, thus:

Roasted pigeon filet with curry and almond pastille and brochette of giblets with cacao-scented jus

Part of the rationale is when there is a word within the item that NEEDS to be capitalized (such as though from places), it de-emphasizes the import of those words with words like jus. Example:

Roasted Sonoma pigeon filet with Indian curry and almond pastille and brochette of giblets with Madagascar cacao-scented jus

Edited to add that working as a writer and editor within the industry, I have found that this seems to be the industry standard.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I only capitalize when it's something that's really good.

For example:

Coconut Cake or perhaps Caramel Cake or German Chocolate Cake

When it's not so great, I don't capitalize:

like this:

apple pie or blackberry cobbler

It's really a very simple thing. I find that learning by example is so much easier than all of those pesky grammar and capitalization rules.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

What have you got against pie? Or are you just opposed to fruit?

Despite my earlier attempt to answer this question, the real answer is "What ever your editor says."

Nothing against pie. I like pie. Just not as much as cake.

And I ate some fruit today. Scale's Fruit Salad (with coconut) today at the NOJHF. Fruit is delicious.

Come to think of it, I also had a mango freeze. That counts as fruit.

But, as far as "what the editor says" you're right. Even better, just type the words and let them put it however they feel most comfortable with. :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

In what context is the item being used? Within a sentence, I would not capitalize any of the words, thus:

Chef Bimbo created a roasted pigeon filet with curry and almond pastille and brochette of giblets with cacao-scented jus.

This is the style I use and is generally accepted in most news publications. Arbitrary capitalization seems unprofessional to me.

What have you got against pie? Or are you just opposed to fruit?

Despite my earlier attempt to answer this question, the real answer is "What ever your editor says."

this is correct. it doesn't matter how 'you' write it down, the typesetter and editor may or may not change it. stress 'spelling' and hope that they go with that, for sometimes that will also be changed, ha! (for instance, if this is the entry line to a story, they could use all caps, no caps, or what ever format suits their fancy.) original copy is subject to edit unless it is a paid for advertisement, in most cases.