• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would you start with?

heatmiser

I have been a tequila & scotch (non-Islay) fan for quite some time and am interested in broadening my horizons with rum. I am not a big fan of bitter, sherry influenced or over-oaked (woodsie tasting) spirits. I am also a little hesistant about overly sweet drinks which I think some rums can fall into. Please help me start with what you think a newbie with my tastes as described would like most out of the following rums:

Ron Matusalem Gran Reserve

Ron Zacapa 23 Years

Ron del Barralito 3 Star

Cruzan Single Barrel

Pampero Aniversario

Santa Teresa 1796

Neisson Reserve

Zaya

Thanks!!!

Of the rums you list, Neisson Reserve is very different compared to the others, it has one of the fullest flavor profiles in your list. Although all of these rums deserve to be tried, I would say that the Barrilito 3 Star has the strongest oak flavor, Cruzan Single Barrel is the lightest of these rums with much less oak flavor with Zaya, Zacapa and Santa Teresa coming in on the slightly sweet side of the line. Pampero certainly has an oaky flavor but it isn't overwhelming. Matusalem Gran Reserve is also good but your comment about sherry influenced would move that rum down the list.

Happy hunting.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Of the rums you list, Neisson Reserve is very different compared to the others, it has one of the fullest flavor profiles in your list. Although all of these rums deserve to be tried, I would say that the Barrilito 3 Star has the strongest oak flavor, Cruzan Single Barrel is the lightest of these rums with much less oak flavor with Zaya, Zacapa and Santa Teresa coming in on the slightly sweet side of the line. Pampero certainly has an oaky flavor but it isn't overwhelming. Matusalem Gran Reserve is also good but your comment about sherry influenced would move that rum down the list. 

Happy hunting.

Pampero rocks, but I prefer the Ron Anejo Especial. in my mind, best value for the dollar. available widely in europe and in duty free sometimes too. give me a bottle of this and a handful of limes and i am a happy man.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should add Appleton VX to that list Mr Heatmiser. Its tasting notes definately will broaden your horizons. It's one the rums I always go for when educating whisky or whiskey drinkers palates.

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com