• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for chocolate cup molds

cakedecorator1968

Hi,

Looking to purchase some chocolate molds that could produce chocolate cups a bit bigger than the size of a mouthwash lid for examlple ...guessing 2 ounces max.

For mousses, puddings etc.

Years ago I saw some individual ones made out of those older style dark (plastic?) chocolate molds.

Hi,

Looking to purchase some chocolate molds that could produce chocolate cups a bit bigger than the size of a mouthwash lid for examlple ...guessing 2 ounces max.

For mousses, puddings etc.

Years ago I saw some individual ones made out of those older style dark (plastic?) chocolate molds.

Try www.chocolat-chocolat.com

go to polycarbonate mold, belgian molds, -spheres,cones, globes, cups

CW1484 is quite large

Under assorted molding CW1348 is a fair size, CW 1347 even bigger

CW 1364 might hold about the right amount.

Life of the Party mold#AO-50, I bought a few of these and thought they were too big for any use at the shop. But for my kids, I'm going to mold some up and put syrup in them to place on top of their waffles.You might want to search ebay for liquor cup mold. good luck.

he (wybauw) says the best plastic bags are the grocery store ones that they use for produce...they're thin and very flexible.

I use the plastic foil that they use in deli's twisted around a plug of foam then twist tied at the top to make the snobinette cups.

he (wybauw) says the best plastic bags are the grocery store ones that they use for produce...they're thin and very flexible.

Ha, now that you wrote that, I recall him saying the same thing to my group. Have you made them Alana? How about the chocolate nests drizzled over ice...........hum.........darn I should do that for Easter..............

i only saw him to them at his demo. i saw that he's doing a three day class in november at the french pastry school in chicago...$850 for the three days...i'd really like to go because i just like him so much. i like his approach to chocolate, i like his personality. but it is quite a bit of dough. if i can save up until then. we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Check your local hardware store for 1" diameter foam air conditioner insulation. It's the snaky stuff you poke between a window air conditioner and the window jamb to stop air leaks. Here in Boulder, McGuckin's sells it by the foot. It's dark greyish, heading towards black in color. You can find it smaller or larger, but 1" seems to be the right size bite, either one gulp for the adventurous or two or three for the savorers.

Cut the foam with scissors into 1 1/2" lengths or a tad longer. (It's usually coiled up in boxes at the store, and the curve will stay with it, so try to cheat one end square when you cut it, but it really doesn't make that much difference in the finished cups.

I use plain plastic wrap to cover them. Pull 6" lengths from a 12" roll, and then snip each piece into to 6"x6" squares. (The cutter on Reynolds plastic wrap rolls is actually worth something here.)

To wrap a snob, squish a foam piece on its side down in the center of a plastic square, fold/pull over the plastic tightly to keep it slightly tapered, pick it up and pull the two open sides of the plastic down over the foam. If you stick a finger under the wrap and push in on the foam as you pull the sides down, you'll get a slightly tapered profile to the form. With the sides tucked in, twist the plastic closed on top tightly. No need for tying it off.

I dip mine slightly less than an inch deep. Depending on your chocolate, you may need two coats to get them to release evenly. If you go to two coats, wipe off the bottom on the first coat pretty vigorously, down to bare plastic, to reduce the base thickness, and minimize developing a foot on the snob.

After they've set thoroughly, snip off the twisted top of the plastic wrap (it's much quicker than untwisting them,) open the plastic at the top, and gently ease out the foam plug. Then gather the ends of the plastic and twist carefully to remove it. Done. Repeat until your eyes cross.

Filling them is fun. Squeeze bottles are great, fillings warm enough to self-level are best if you're going to cap them, but well under melting temperature for your couverture.

My customers love them, filled with a middling soft infused caramel and capped with milk chocolate, but they're too worky for serious production. Either outsourcing the shells or having a conversation with the silicone mold folks is in my future.

rick

(ps - does anyone know the origin of the term "snobinette?" Inquiring minds... :-)

134551091_ba20d1616c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok since the demo are very cool but I cant find something that it gives me the real snobinette shape ( hand made I mean ) , I was looking online for already made snobinette cups .I found several that sell them , but none has pricing on them or a order form to order online .

Any of you guys purchase them somewhere and if yes , how much is usually , I saw they sell them in box of 270ct, and it is worth it or its still convinient to make your own ?

I am looking for a wedding in september and I would like to make those for the little favor boxes , but if it end up to be too pricy I might just follow rlevine demo and do it my self .

Any suggestion appreaciate as usuall

Thank you

Vanessa

vanessa,

you can try Albert Uster

or

Chef's Warehouse

there are other purveyors who sell shells/snobinettes, but usually you have to have a wholesale account with them to purchase. with albert uster and chef's warehouse, you don't have to have an established account. of course, that means the prices are higher than wholesale. but they are options. particularly if you can transfer the cost to the customer. most places won't ship chocolate anything but overnight and that can add up depending on how much you buy! often, it can double the cost of the the purchase. if you can, it might be better to just mold some shells using regular polycarbonate molds that you already have. i've made some nice heart shaped shells with my molds. obviously you want something that has a flat top (which would then be your bottom).

anyway...hope that helps.

Thank you Alana , yes it helps and you are probably right it will be easier to make some ( 100 pc isnt that much ).I have found a shape I might use I will try and post it if works.

Thank you

Vanessa

I have made a straight sided cup by using pieces of dowels that are the diameter of the cup I want. I cut pieces of dowel 3 or so inches long wrap one end with plastic and tape it to the dowel above where the chocolate will stop. dip them a couple of times, set them down on parchment and chill, then I just release the plastic from the dowel and gently pull it out of the chocolate cup. You could also use pieces of pvc pipe cut about 3 inches long or even foil rolled up to the diameter you want. How about wrapped eggs, that might make a cute shape and the chocolate could form a foot the sit on.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

I have made a straight sided cup by using pieces of dowels that are the diameter of the cup I want.  I cut pieces of dowel 3 or so inches long wrap one end with plastic and tape it to the dowel above where the chocolate will stop. dip them a couple of times, set them down on parchment and chill,  then I just release the plastic from the dowel and gently pull it out of the chocolate cup.  You could also use pieces of pvc pipe cut about 3 inches long or even foil rolled up to the diameter you want.  How about wrapped eggs, that might make a cute shape and the chocolate could form a foot the sit on.

Great ideaass , thank you :biggrin:

I think I will experimet around with container and try to find the one that is faster and esier , meaning i need to find one that i can reproduce fast and at the same time , dowel and pvc sounds like it .

Thank you

Vanessa