• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dog Heaven

Anonymouze

Has anyone been here it is a few doors down from Picnic on Kinderkamack and I love their "Italian Style" hot dogs and their bbq pulled pork sandwiches when I want a fast snack if I'm driving by there.

Is there any other places like this up this way? I read "Holly's Eats" so it made me think of them and I read about some other good places to check out too! :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Has anyone been here it is a few doors down from Picnic on Kinderkamack and I love their "Italian Style" hot dogs and their bbq pulled pork sandwiches when I want a fast snack if I'm driving by there.

Is there any other places like this up this way?  I read "Holly's Eats" so it made me think of them and I read about some other good places to check out too!  :wub:

a bbq pulled pork sandwich is a fast snack?

I include Hot Dog Heaven in my visits to Picnic. My preschooler likes the hot dogs and my other children rave about the onion rings. I'm guessing they use a Sabrett dog (by the number of Sabrett signs around), but I haven't had one myself or watched how they prepare it.

They have plenty of parking in front.

(This is in Emerson, on Kinderkamack Road, right past (or before, depending on your point of view) the busy intersection there, and directy across K-kamak from Boston Market.

My preschooler dropped her scarf on the walk from Picnic to HD Heaven this winter. The next week we went back for lunch again, and she said, "Hey, there's my scarf."

~ Ken P.

Is this a deep fried dog?

Menton,

Decided to give this place a shot today. Semi-warm Sabrette that had no discernable anything to give away how it was cooked ... could have been nuked for all I could tell. Average toppings. The Barbeque Pulled Pork Sandwich was a slimy mess of overly sweet, sloppy barbeque covered with a non-descript melted cheese (mozzarella maybe?). The cheese fries were crispy but covered in what seemed to be melted Velveeta.

Tried one of their homemade soups (split pea). Watery and everything a split pea soup shouldn't be.

I wouldn't go back.

WTC

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)

I've never had their soup but I have had their sandwiches, hot dogs, pierogies and wraps. Our corporate office is nearby and everyone there seems to like most of their food too.

Maybe it was an off day? I've never had a "slimy" sandwich there and haven't had the sandwich with cheese.

I do notice that they are very busy during the work week often we have to wait up to 10-15 minutes to get our order. Maybe it was because it was the weekend and the regular staff wasn't there - I have no idea but again as Kape mentioned it is popular (especially with the parents w/kids) with folks who go in there.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Well I went there on Friday and got the pulled pork sandwich minus the cheese. I concur with white truffle chick- an overly sweet overly sauced gloppy thing. Meat might have been ok beneath it but really couldn't taste what the meat would have been like.

Not impressed.

Well I went there on Friday and got the pulled pork sandwich minus the cheese.  I concur with white truffle chick- an overly sweet overly sauced gloppy thing.  Meat might have been ok beneath it but really couldn't taste what the meat would have been like.

Not impressed.

Oh gosh, went there cause I let you down with zero lobster rolls. Sorry...

Best,

CN

Naughty Christine! See what you put folks through. (giggle) I guess I've been lucky to get good stuff there 90% of the time, that type of sandwich would have surely put me off as well. I don't like "sickly sweet" in fact the sweetest I like is sweet potato puree at Picnic or sweet potato fries at the Landmark in Livingston or elsewhere.