• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter weekend what will be open?

origamicrane

Dear all

I'm planning a road trip to Reims for some champagne tasting and food over the easter weekend.

Been digging around the forums and looks like everyone is saying to eat at Les Crayeres so already booked that for the saturday that I am there.

But we planning to spend 3 days in the area and would like to hear of any suggestion that you might have.

I'm considering Le Briqueterie and Aux Armes de Champagne too.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Btw how bad does it get over the Easter weekend in France in terms of traffic and attraction being closed?

As I would like to vist a few champagne houses and am worried that a lot of them will be closed on the easter sunday and monday.

If they are closed can anyone suggest any alternative attractions?

I will be grateful of any suggestions.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Good choices - for food and accomodation. At Easter you will need to reserve both at Le Briqueterie and Aux Armes de Champagne. It seems you are travelling by car as each are some distance from Reims.

Apart from Champagne lists, you will find two very good wine lists here which are worth exploring.

From memory, the family who run Aux Armes de Champagne are also wine merchants and have a well-stocked and well-priced store on a street behind the hotel in Epine.

From memory, the family who run Aux Armes de Champagne are also wine merchants and have a well-stocked and well-priced store on a street behind the hotel in Epine.

It's ages (and I do mean ages) since we ate there, so can't speak for the food. The Perardel family have an excellent wine business (including outlets in Beaune and Calais) and their own label champagnes are well worth a look (and taste).

Btw how bad does it get over the Easter weekend in France in terms of traffic and attraction being closed?

Since no one answered this part of your query, I'll start. My experience is that save school vacations (when a young couple who run a place take the kids to Mom's) restos adhere to their weekly schedule - even on July 14th. That said, double check, call and confirm. Once I was told they'd be open, I think it was on Ascension Day, and the day before I discovered they'd be closed. That's why God made brasseries.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris