• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethnic Food near Boston University

ErinB

I'm going to un upcoming show at the Paradise (on Commonwealth ave) near BU.

I'm looking for something in the area that I can walk to that is inexpensive to moderately priced, preferably something ethnic. But if it's a good deal that's ok too.

I don't care about atmosphere, just looking for good food.

Not ethnic: T. Anthony's across the street has (on a good day) one of the best pizzas in MA.

There's an outpost of the Brown Sugar Thai chain right next to the Paradise. It's on the US-influenced side of things, but they make competent food. If you're going towards Boston, there's a great Malay place attached to a bubbletea shop right near the BU East stop.

If you're going towards the West, head up to Harvard Av and get Korean food at Buk Kyung II, satay at Aneka Rasa, or decent Vietnamese at Pho Pasteur.

We ended up going to Dok Bua, one of galleygirl's suggestions. It was pretty good thai. The prices were good, service was quick.

It's on Harvard Ave, not in walking distance, but there's plenty of parking in the area.

What'd ya get?

-I had wide noodles with chinese broccoli and beef.

the vegetable dumplings were really good as was tom kha soup

- my friend got a green curry that was really yummy.

and her brother got a pineapple fried rice that just scared me cause it sounds wrong.

A block away is a great deal for Contonese lobster, and Hong Kong style seafood, at Victoria Seafood. Across the street from that is a real deal, Quan's Kitchen. Look at the specials board for homey, authentic Chinese...Great congee.

What's to like about Victoria Seafood? It's probably the least-fresh food I've had at such a popular restaurant. Things with seafood often have that previously-cooked stuff in them, and I've had a couple fish there that certainly didn't taste like they were just pulled out of a tank. Plus, the seasoning was all off on vegetable dishes.

Anything else good at Quan's? I had a really terrible ribs with black bean sauce there and decided not to try again. I remember having a burnt-tasting fried rice there about 10 years ago.