• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gayle gets 3 bells

Jeff L

Craig LeBan, as we all know, isn't too liberal with 3 bell ratings. So, now it becomes even harder to get into a place that has already generated a significant amount of buzz.

I haven't been there yet, but last week the chef from the Yardley Inn mentioned that this was his favorite place and people here have reviewed it quite well.

I almost stopped reading after the description for Beef Tenderloin Shepherd's Pie as it is one of my favorite dishes for comfort food cravings. Daniel Stern's version sounds really amazing with hickory smoked tenderloin to bacon filled with gruyere and shredded short rib. I can't wait to try this dish.

I think one of the things that impresses me most about Stern is that he is self taught and has acheived this level of success.

Off topic somewhat, LeBan on the same page declares the 2001 Lineage Cabernet "fabulous" with lush black fruit. But we already knew that. The supplies are dwindling so go get some.

Woo Hoo! We are all quite happy.

But do not fret. The patio will be open in a month, with almost double the capacity to dine. But only on sunny days, I think.

The menu is in flux right now, as spring is arriving. And as the restaurant matures, the dishes become more interesting and complicated. But still just as tasty as before.

Matt Kantor

Cook at Large (but getting thinner)

Haddonfield, NJ at present

e: mattkantor{at}pobox.com

Congratulations Matt, to you and all the hardworking staff at Gayle!! Great news!

Now how am I ever going to get in? I guess maybe it helps to know somebody? :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Congrats to Gayle. A lot of hard work leading to a great write-up. But...

The pic of their take on the lobster roll - I'm sorry. There are some things one shouldn't mess with. And the elegant purity of a Maine lobster roll is one.

Lavender. Geesh! Ayyup. Geesh! :smile:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 1 month later...
You should stop in and try it this week.  It's quite good.  We make the bread in-house too...as we do with all our bread.

Here's a link.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertain...ts/14106023.htm

Matt's right about their bread, or more accurately, their rolls. They were delicous.

Four of us had dinner at Gayle last night and four of us came away really impressed. Impressed with the food of course, but the easy and relaxed professional waitstaff made it all the more enjoyable. Mellow tones accent the small room and we found it be quite comfortable indeed. It was nice of Matt to come to our table and introduce himself.

On to the food, we all opted for the 3 course prix fixe and decided on 2 apps and one entree instead of dessert cause I heard Capogiro might have some new flavors :biggrin:

They brought out four very small snacks as they call them. One was marinated something wrapped in proscuitto, a duck filed ravioli, and 2 other things I forget. All boded of what was to come, delicious.

For the first course, our friends had the gazpacho and Gayle salad and really liked both dishes. I opted for the oyster, smoked salmon and foie gras chased by a shot of cucumber juice. This dish reminded me of Studio Kitchen in its presentation and resulting impact on me. Truly a wonderful dish, the broth in the oyster shell had a vermouth taste but could have been another spirit, really unexpected and delightful. The cucumber shot worked perfectly. My wife had the Gayle salad and we both had the crispy risotto fingers with truffle and soy. Risotto fingers were really good, had a nice crunch to them and paired beautifully with the truffle and soy.

For entrees, one friend had the Scallop, Crab dumplings with a riesling glaze. She had a dreamy look on her face and there wasn't much left on her plate afterward. Her husband had the monkfish with saffron and tarragon and thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife had the chicken purple and green which was really two different cabbages roasted with the chicken in a sauce we all thought was the best thing we tasted all night. I had the suckling pig with fresh bacon and lentils and really wished the portion was bigger. The flavor was so intense I was craving more of it. It contrasted sharply from the suckling pig we had at Amada.

The ladies enjoyed a glass of pinot grigio and sauvignon blanc with their dinners while the guys shared a really really nice bottle of Malbec called El Filino. Frankly, I wished this place was BYO as they need some help with their ecclectic winelist. (Katie, possible opportunity here)

Sometime between our 2nd and 3rd course Chef Daniel Stern greeted us and I spoke with him for a good 15 minutes. One of the most personable guys I've ever met in a restaurant. I told him I had high expectations and was not disappointed thus far in the meal. We all talked some about his running Le Bec Fin and that I was singularly most impressed with his lack of formal training. To that, he smiled and said he's had some of the very best teachers in the world. Perfectly humble and understated.

This is a restaurant not be missed in our opinion.

Frankly, I wished this place was BYO as they need some help with their ecclectic winelist. (Katie, possible opportunity here)

Thanks for the props Jeff, but I think they've got staff already handling that for them. In fact, I think Chef Stern is somewhat involved in the wine list choices at Gayle himself, in addition General Manager Ed Hackett has a well educated palate. I worked with Ed at Rouge so I say this with complete confidence.

Of course if they wanted my help, I'd be delighted. :smile: I would love to pick up a couple of weeknight shifts at Gayle if they were in need of a wine-educated server on the floor. I can't think of many other places I'd have more fun pairing wines with an interesting menu like that and would have customers that were sophisticated enough and receptive to that level of service.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Frankly, I wished this place was BYO as they need some help with their ecclectic winelist. (Katie, possible opportunity here)

Thanks for the props Jeff, but I think they've got staff already handling that for them. In fact, I think Chef Stern is somewhat involved in the wine list choices at Gayle himself, in addition General Manager Ed Hackett has a well educated palate. I worked with Ed at Rouge so I say this with complete confidence.

Of course if they wanted my help, I'd be delighted. :smile: I would love to pick up a couple of weeknight shifts at Gayle if they were in need of a wine-educated server on the floor. I can't think of many other places I'd have more fun pairing wines with an interesting menu like that and would have customers that were sophisticated enough and receptive to that level of service.

It was indeed a very interesting menu Katie, one that we all thoroughly enjoyed. Are you familiar with this Malbec I had? I did a search on PALCB site and found no evidence of it, even special order which I expected to it was.

I asked Daniel if he was familiar with EG and he did say that he was but somewhat nervous to read about his place. He was also familiar with Chowhound.

Jeff,

It was nice to meet you and your friends last week. Im glad you had a good experience, and hope you have many more in the future.

As I am no longer associated with Gayle, I will not post in this forum anymore. I do still encourage people to go...I think the food and the service are great.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Kantor

Cook at Large (but getting thinner)

Haddonfield, NJ at present

e: mattkantor{at}pobox.com

Jeff,

It was nice to meet you and your friends last week.  Im glad you had a good experience, and hope you have many more in the future.

As I am no longer associated with Gayle, I will not post in this forum anymore.  I do still encourage people to go...I think the food and the service are great.

Thanks,

Matt

Jeff,

It was nice to meet you and your friends last week.  Im glad you had a good experience, and hope you have many more in the future.

As I am no longer associated with Gayle, I will not post in this forum anymore.  I do still encourage people to go...I think the food and the service are great.

Thanks,

Matt

There's no reason you can't post on the topic, you would just be doing so with slightly less accuracy.

Your insight is welcome regardless on this topic and others in this forum.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.