• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

middle eastern/israeli place near south st?

arice

i read about a new place in the south street area, near beau monde perhaps that is just opened and has an israeli chef. can anyone supply me with more details -- i.e. name and location? has anyone been?

thanks in advance for the assistance!

arice

Edited by arice (log)

The place is named shouk.

Everything is under twelve bucks and there is a hookah bar upstairs.

they are in the process of getting a licquor license.

Its on sixth street.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

I was there on Saturday. The food was fantastic. I had mussels and vegetarian kofta, and had tastes of carrot salad, falafel, labneh, carrot dumplings, beet salad, and a few other dishes.

Portions are not huge, but everything is priced reasonably -- for a full dinner, expect to order perhaps 3-4 dishes. I was with a large group -- we ordered a lot of food, no-one left hungry and we paid about $30/person.

The owners and the chef are super people, very friendly. It's on Sixth just below South.

If Moraccan can fit the bill for middle eastern try Marrakesh.

It's a phenominal Moraccan feast of salads, meats, savory pastries and fruits served familiy style. The meal is enjoyed primitively by lanternlight and without utensils as you inhale incense and linger on their pillow strewn couches. The food is somewhat exotic but familiar at the same time. It's delicious. Especially the chicken tangine that is just so moist and juicy that I suspect it was injected with water.

It's as much of an experience as it is a meal. Try it.

Edited by crusio's (log)