• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

more sweatbreads

mdbasile

I have been making sweatbreads for many years and have always cooked them a fair length of time until they are nice and crispy. This is true now matter if I grill them or saute in clarified butter. Then I usually serve them on top of crispy proscutto napped with a Madera sauce(from my homemade demi).

Typically I get them fresh from the "plant" within a day or two of slaughter. I typicall buy both type, as they come packaged that way. I soak a couple of hours then simmer in acidulated water. Then clean, break into smaller pieces and weight them overnight.

Then I poach in a curt boullion for 15 min or so -- then saute them. Which usually is about 15 min until crispy. The other night I skipped the poaching and grilled them for about 20-25 min until crispy. They were fantastic, I think better than usual.

I guess what I am asking is... am I cooking them too long with my usual method?

I should note that I rarely get any complaints.... I know I have turned many a man, woman, and child on to the pleasures of these luscious morsels....

you do'nt need to cook them taht long. although i sitll recommend that you prep them the way you're already doing, when it's time to cook them i'd judt sautee them lightly. if you want a crispy outside coat them in corn starch. they're at there best when the inside is still somewhat soft.

bork bork bork

To be honest, I usually never poach them in court bouillon. I usually just soak them in some milk overnight to remove any blood or bitterness, peel the membrane from them either with my hands, or using a flexible fillet knife, and them basically deep fry them slowly in butter, finished with a load of fresh squeezed lemon juice. My Chef at Le Manoir told me to always season heavily with kosher salt at the beginning, middle and end of cooking. Hasn't failed me yet, and I love the look on my students' faces when they ask me what they are eating, and I tell them veal sweetbreads!!

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

you do'nt need to cook them taht long. although i sitll recommend that you prep them the way you're already doing, when it's time to cook them i'd judt sautee them lightly. if you want a crispy outside coat them in corn starch. they're at there best when the inside is still somewhat soft.

Thanks. So you think the 10 min acidulated water simmer and 15 min poach are still good, just cut the saute time? Why is corn starch better than flower?

To be honest, I usually never poach them in court bouillon.  I usually just soak them in some milk overnight to remove any blood or bitterness, peel the membrane from them either with my hands, or using a flexible fillet knife, and them basically deep fry them slowly in butter, finished with a load of fresh squeezed lemon juice.  My Chef at Le Manoir told me to always season heavily with kosher salt at the beginning, middle and end of cooking.  Hasn't failed me yet, and I love the look on my students' faces when they ask me what they are eating, and I tell them veal sweetbreads!!

Thanks.

So your only prep is the milk bath and then cleaning?

I must say that I try to clean them of any and all crap, including dark spots after the acidulated water simmer and all the funky looking pieces.. I like them ans pure as possible. I like the French term "noix de ris de veau"... I guess meaning the center pure part....

How long do you saute them in the butter?

Thanks. So you think the 10 min acidulated water simmer and 15 min poach are still good, just cut the saute time? Why is corn starch better than flower?

usually alot fot he flourfalls off of the moeat when ithits the pan. also for me it doesn't really give it that crispy texture i want. corn starch on the other hand hadheres well and makes it alot crispier than flour. but try it for yourself and decide which one you like better

bork bork bork