• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

See Less Butts

scott123

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I see recipes using boneless pork butts, but yet I've never seen a boneless pork butt in the supermarket. It's always bone-in picnic. Am I missing something here? Are the boneless butts selling out before I get there? Are the boneless butts being ground and not sold whole? What's going on?

Besides finding the answer to this, does anyone have a good inexpensive source for butt in northern NJ?

I see small rolled and tied pork shoulder roasts in most meat markets, but if you recipe requires a larger roast, with skin on, and for stuffing, then it would be expedient to buy a a butt and remove the bones. It should only take a few minutes, with a flexible boning knife.

i guess this is obvious, but boneless butt is butt with the bone taken out. if you need to make a distinction btwn butt and shoulder (or whatever the two parts are), i guess there's a difference, though not one that i'm usually concerned with.

just about every supermarket uses butts to make sausage. they almost always have them in the back for this purpose, and they don't put them out because only freaks like us buy them. i usually just call ahead (a day or 2 if possible), talk to the butcher, and tell him/her to put one aside for you. if you do this even 2 times he'll know you by voice, because they ain't getting too many of those calls. ask to have the bone removed and have it tied if you don't want to deal with it.

kings has cheap enough butt. corrado's in paterson might even be cheaper.

Edited by tommy (log)

I have bought boneless butts from Kam Man on Rt 10. You can also get them from Costco, however I have only seen them listed for sale 'by the case' - you'd have to check with one of the meat people to see if you can buy in smaller quantities.

Jason

I know at the A&P in woodcliff lake they'll do most anything for you they peel and de-vein my shrimp on the rare occasion that I cook... I don't see why they wouldn't remove the bones from your butt if you ask them nicely. (Jack is the MGR. he's real nice, so... if you can't get anyone in the butcher area just ask for Jack!) :cool: (ahem- I mean your non-personal butt of course, I'm sure you have a nice butt! LOL! :blink::biggrin: ) I know some folks who need de-sticking of their butts! (evil grin) :shock::laugh:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.