• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Helping a friend plan his b-day

Ling

My friend's birthday is coming up on the 18th. He's looking for a place that has a good atmosphere, is moderately-priced (~$30 a person before drinks), and won't be too difficult to find parking.

Suggestions?

I'm thinking Curious in Gastown after reading Mia's review, and VancityGirl also praised the food in another thread...but would love to hear some other suggestions. :smile:

I planned a suprise birthday lunch once for my husband at Seasons in the Park at QE. Although now it's called Seasons Hilltop Bistro. We've been going there for years for special occasions. It's become "our" restaurant along with the Chartwell at The Four Seasons. We've never been dissappointed with the food or service and you can't beat the view of downtown Vancouver. If it's good enough for Bill and Boris, it's good enough for anyone. :biggrin:http://www.vancouverdine.com/seasons/home.html

I planned a suprise birthday lunch once for my husband at Seasons in the Park at QE. Although now it's called Seasons Hilltop Bistro. We've been going there for years for special occasions. It's become "our" restaurant along with the Chartwell at The Four Seasons.

...and the valet will be happy to park your zimmer frame...

How about Stella's on Commercial Drive, Habit on Main, or Wild Rice? Parking should not be a problem at any of these as they are all near public parking lots or resident non-permit streets.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

How about Stella's on Commercial Drive, Habit on Main, or Wild Rice? Parking should not be a problem at any of these as they are all near public parking lots or resident non-permit streets.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stella's does not take resos (my god, that rhymes!). And its always packed to the brim with customers, mussels, and beer. MMMMMMM beer

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

Baru Latino on Alma and 10th would also be a great pick - I think they are open Sundays. Plenty of parking on 10th Ave on a Sunday night, awesome mohitos and ceviches.

(Disclosure - clients of mine)

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Stella's does not take resos (my god, that rhymes!).

It does?

i tried to make resos for my bday in november but couldn't. perhaps they changed their policy since then

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

How about the Hamilton Street Grill on a Sunday night. No parking problems on a Sunday.

Big screen TV's to watch the Olympics or the Food Network.

Too bad there was not a Pay Per View game on. I was strong armed by someone to buy the remainder of the season as I was "caught" with a PPV game on. We were labeled "pirates" and threatened with legal action.

Two guys ( Me and Vancouver Lee ) sitting in an empty restaurant watching a PPV game on one TV equals pirating ! What a fiasco !

Anyhoo, a party on a Sunday night would help me recover some of the money I just had to flush down the drain. I might as well have lit my money on fire for all the good having the PPV is going to do me - three sunday games - big draw there !

Me, bitter ?

Yup

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Hi, thanks for all the replies! I had forgotten about Stella and Habit--still need to check out both spaces. :smile:

We decided to move the dinner to Friday, since we really wanted to go to Chambar. (Plus, I believe I still have my free beer to cash in! :biggrin: )