• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Gas Range Blues

Chris Amirault

Recently we yanked our old electric range and put in this swell Whirlpool gas range. It's quite fantastic for many things, and we're particularly impressed with the oven so far.

But there's one problem, and it can be a real PITA: the gas jets are very wide, and as a result the flame licks up the sides of even medium to large pots and pans. This is particularly true for high-heat cooking, of course; it's very hard, for example, to get a small skillet hot enough for a good blistering sear without overheating the handle and sides (of my new Sitram pots and pans -- :angry:).

Does anyone have any ideas for, I dunno, centering the flame somehow? Or making adjustments to the range? Or... ???

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I had a Whirlpool cook top in the house and looking at the picture, the burners don't look much different. I don't recall having the problem you describe. I am wondering if the pressure regulation on the gas supply or something like that might be off whack. I would call your Whirlpool service center and ask.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Being new to gas (LP) I know what your talking about. I have started using a medium setting and adjusting the heat so it doesn't go past the bottom of the pan. I'm not sure I'm boiling water faster on my gas range top compared to my old electric stove but gas gives significantly better control over the heat.

I wondered the same thing as fifi. Could it be the pressure? I couldn't tell just how large the jets were though and so can't say there. Is it just for searing with smaller skillets that's your main problem? Would a flame tamer used even with full flame work for larger items?

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

I had a Garland range in the house I had in the valley. I never had problems with it, mainly because most of my pans were large. However the people who bought the house (the range was a big selling point for them) did have trouble and asked me to show them how to use the range.

They didn't have the type of cookware I had, they used smaller pots with plastic or composition handles that did burn.

I sent them to a metal shop where they had two steel plates cut to the size of the burner grates, one with a 6-inch hole and one with a 4-inch hole cut in each center. That gave them two burners (of the 8 on the range top) on which they could use smaller pans.

It has been quite a few years, but as I recall, the metal shop turned the edges of the plates down just a bit so they would not slide around. I think they took the grates with them to the shop.

They didn't have any further trouble, however I do know that they did buy some commercial cookware because I ran into them at Star restaurant supply sometime after that.

My cooktop has three different sized burners. 1 very large, 3 medium and 1 smalll simmer burner.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This will sound far-fetched, but then so much of what I say does that I really don't worry too much about it anymore.

Have you checked to be sure that the stove is turned to "gas" rather than "propane"? There is some sort of switch on the back.

The reason I ask is that I have heard of this exact thing happening (too high heat) with this being discovered as the reason.

Of course I might be wrong. I heard the story one night at dinner from a very handsome man and I really was not concentrating on his words but rather on other things.

Thanks for all the ideas, folks. I set out to determine whether it was indeed the pressure of the gas, and all I determined was that my owner's manual is referring to parts of the range that don't seem to exist. :hmmm: I also have tried to call Whirlpool, but that's a bit more complicated than I had anticipated.

Actually, Karen's idea is very promising. I did find information about the propane/natural gas switch and wondered about it. I'll take a look at that tonight.

Of course, if I can't solve it, Andie's trip to the metalshop is very appealing indeed! :biggrin:

More info soon!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Chris . . . This is going to sound archaic, but . . . Have you looked in the Yellow Pages under appliance service?

Did you find this page?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for all the ideas, folks. I set out to determine whether it was indeed the pressure of the gas, and all I determined was that my owner's manual is referring to parts of the range that don't seem to exist. :hmmm: I also have tried to call Whirlpool, but that's a bit more complicated than I had anticipated.

Chris,

I seriously doubt it's the pressure. Gas ranges have built-in regulators, so no matter what the pressure is coming in, the range will regulate it to what it needs and all will be well. It's a code thing. Could you imagine the fun if you had a commercial size gas line running into your house and hooked up a residential appliance without a regulator? Burnt handles wouldn't be your problem ... a burnt ceiling would! A far-fetched situation true ... but it happens.

I've also never heard of using a switch to change between LP and NG. The size of the nozzles are completely different for each gas type, and that's something a switch can't compensate for. On page 11 of the Installation Manual [CLICK] for your range, you'll find the instructions on how to convert to LP. If you haven't followed the 2 page long list of 18 steps ... it ain't your problem. :raz:

I think you may just have to live with singed pots. Think of it this way ... they'll look PRO!

A.

I seriously doubt it's the pressure.  Gas ranges have built-in regulators, so no matter what the pressure is coming in, the range will regulate it to what it needs and all will be well. 

But in that same Installation Manual [CLICK] to which you refer, Arne, on page 9, there's a reference to adjusting the flame height. So... isn't that directly related to pressure? If not, do you know what that's for?

Still seriously confused -- and the folks at Whirlpool are seriously not helpful. I think Linda's suggestion about using that 19th century gadget to phone up some help might be in order!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

In fact, Ben, I've already been doing just that when I can, but the size of the range top and my need for multiple burners prevents me from doing it all the time. There's only one smaller burner; the rest are large.

And I'm quite familiar with the knobs on the front, believe me! :biggrin:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I've also never heard of using a switch to change between LP and NG.  The size of the nozzles are completely different for each gas type, and that's something a switch can't compensate for.  On page 11 of the Installation Manual [CLICK] for your range, you'll find the instructions on how to convert to LP.  If you haven't followed the 2 page long list of 18 steps ... it ain't your problem. :raz:

:biggrin: It could be that my friend was trying to sell me a cock-and-bull story that night, Arne - knowing how impressive guys sound when they conversationally ramble on about switches and how to compensate for nozzle size.

What's fascinating to me, though, is that Chris actually found information in the manual about this switch thingie.

Arcana. It's all arcana, only to be understood by the initiated. Whoever they are. :huh:

I'm not sure why you can't turn the gas down so that the flame doesn't extend past the width of the pan...however, I have a set of two accessory trivets/plates which I use on top of the normal grate on my gas cooktop.

The first is a solid simmer plate like the flame tamer above, and I use it a lot, but it's really only useful for longish periods of cooking on a slow steady flame without burning things.

The second (which I actually rarely use) supposedly directs the gas flame into a "whorl" shape, concentrating it efficiently under the center of small pots and pans, rather than allowing it to fan out. I'm sorry, but I have no idea what it might be called.

I googled "gas cooktop accessories" and found lots of simmer plates, but no trivets or whatever they're called.

I'm not sure why you can't turn the gas down so that the flame doesn't extend past the width of the pan...

Actually, answering this is bringing up an interesting point.

Turning down the flame doesn't always help because the diameter of the burner caps is about four inches and the flames extend beyond that. As a result, even larger pans do not heat as evenly as they should. It's not like the propane flame blasting out in a wok burner or turkey fryer; rather, the burner cap creates a circular area on the base of the pan that doesn't come into contact with the flame, which is extending out toward the edges of the circle, creating a sort of flame donut.

Does that make any sense?

WHICH IS ALL TO SAY: I think that the real problem is not only that the flames lick up the sides but that, even when turned down, these burner caps inevitably create a colder (or, rather, less hot) zone directly in the middle of the pan.

:huh:

edited to add the desperate "flame donut" metaphor -- ca

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Get a Lodge cast-iron griddle that fits over individual burners and is perfectly flat on both sides. That will work spectacularly as a "flame-tamer".

When you get the chance, have a machine shop cut it to size for you.

Easy-peasy.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your range. This is a standard problem with the single-ring sealed burners you see on a lot of the mid-level gas ranges. The sealed burners have the gas jets aimed outwards and sort of under and around the burner cap (this is how they make them immune to spills) so they create a big ring of about 6" or more in diameter. This is why a lot of the better ranges use unsealed, concentric-ring designs (star-shaped burners are also a choice).

I don't know what you consider to be a large utensil. Certainly this shouldn't be a problem on an 11-12" skillet or a stockpot with similar diameter. But your burners will kind of suck for high heating of a 2-quart saucepan or a 7" omelet pan. You'll need to use a heat diffuser for good performance with such utensils, but heat diffusers ruin the quick responsiveness of gas.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven, I think you (sadly) hit the nail on the head. I don't really want to use a heat diffuser for precisely the reasons that you indicate; the whole point of getting the gas range (besides getting it half price and basically new on craigslist as part of a package deal with a swell fridge) is the responsiveness.

I'm almost thinking that, instead of a diffuser, I should take Andie's suggestion and visit a metalsmith to see if he or she can make an inverted cone thingie, so that the flames move into the center instead out toward the edges.

And, can I just say, that even when I cook with my wok these days I'm wishing I had my old ancient electric range back? :angry:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

And, can I just say, that even when I cook with my wok these days I'm wishing I had my old ancient electric range back? :angry:

That's horribly depressing. Can you return the stove? I know that my gas stove (again a mid-range) has four different sized burners, which really helps things. It's not as cool looking (but I wanted white appliances anyway).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Some sobering reading on modified trivets for gas ranges. This is similar to the type of trivet I have which is supposed to focus the gas more on the middle of the pan bottom. I've never noticed problems myself, because I rarely use it.

I think I'd still be nagging the manufacturer/agent to come and demonstrate how it's supposed to work.

Do you think that it could be something as simple as adjustment to the direction of the gas jets?

Oh, I've been nagging all right:

Me: So there are adjustable gauges for the burners, as shown in the manual?

Whirlpool: Yes, there are.

Me: But I can't find them on my range.

Whirlpool: Yes, they aren't there.

Me: But the book says they are.

Whirlpool: Yes, it does.

Me: So the manual is wrong.

Whirlpool: No, the manual isn't wrong.

Me: OK, so it's not wrong, but the manual is not for this range.

Whirlpool: No, sir, that is the correct manual for the range.

Me: I don't understand.

Whirlpool: That manual is the correct manual for the range, however, that section has the correct directions and diagram for another range.

Me: So that section is wrong.

Whirlpool: No, it's not wrong. It's correct for the other range.

You get the idea.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

OMG, it sounds like an Abbott & Costello routine.

Chris, I'm sorry to hear about your gas range problems. I was especially distressed to hear that you almost missed your old electric range even when you were using your wok. That's really bad--to miss your electric stove that much! When we were house hunting, I told our broker that I would absolutely not even look at houses with electric ranges.

I wish I had something constructive to tell you, but since the good people at Whirlpool aren’t going to help, it sounds like your best bet is to go to that metalsmith to see if anything can be done. A thought...is there a reputable dealer in your area that you can ask for advice? The gas company?

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I don't think you need service, customer support or a metalsmith. I think this is more a question of accepting the limitations of your range. You probably had limitations with your electric range -- you may not even have realized all of them because everything may have become ingrained -- and now you've got a different set of limitations. Don't worry. Millions of people cook with great versatility on ranges just like yours.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Actually, I'm finding that I have to relearn the gas stove since my olden days with vintage 1960 models in college apartments. For example, the intensity of the flames is quite high even when the flames themselves are low -- something that wasn't always the case in the past with other models. That means that having a burner on fairly low flame can still get a good pan up to temp quickly, particularly with my new, swell Sitram pans.

I also think that I've got to learn how to visualize the location of the pots and pans on the burners more accurately. When I notice that there's extra heat on one side, for example, I've been fiddling with position and learning that my first guess is often wrong.

So... I think I'm going to try to make my peace with this situation for a while.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory