• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can You Let Go of Your Food Sensibilities?

jgm

OK, this is just weird. I think we have the makings of another thread. I always thought it was the danger that held appeal (sharp knives, fire). You just never know what you're going to learn on eG, but one thing is for sure, you will [nearly] always find out that you are NOT alone. :smile:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

It's not just a male thing. My fiance (female) also does this to me whilst I am cooking.

I keep reminding her that no one ever got laid for burning supper, but that never seems to have any effect.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

That is when he gets the wooden spoon treatment. Don't get frisky while I'm making the gravy please dear. That's for AFTER dinner.

. . . And then he does it AGAIN.

:wub:

He must really, really like that wooden spoon treatment! :wink:

Nah, he ducks and dodges, and after all I have a roux going and no time to aim. He is German and had an Oma that I am sure was much more effective with the wooden spoon than I'll ever be.

I just might get lucky one day though. Or maybe that's what he is thinking...

:wink:

It's not just a male thing.  My fiance (female) also does this to me whilst I am cooking.

I keep reminding her that no one ever got laid for burning supper, but that never seems to have any effect.

ROFLMAO

I think it just may be an attention thing. As in, you are too focused on the wonderful dinner you are cooking for me - you must now pay attention to ME!

>Sexually Aggressive Behaviour Inserted Here<

Or maybe I am wrong. Don't know, would love to understand.

Funny though.

:biggrin:

When my cat is doing something to which I object, I often spray him in the fact with water.  You might give that a try instead of the wooden spoon treatment.  :laugh:

That's an idea. Have to think through all the reprecussions though. After all, I don't mind the behaviour when it happens under other conditions.

I wouldn't want to break him. Completely.

Me three!  (Probably TMI at this point!)  Must be the apron!  :wink:

OK, this is why I'm getting a divorce. In 7 years of marriage, I never ONCE got felt up or goosed while cooking. :angry:

Back on topic, I'll buy fig jam, but never guacamole. I'm also fine buying bread crumbs instead of making my own.

And Megan, I'm with you on lettuce washing - it sucks!! Even with my salad spinner - I hate cleaning that thing.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Being an adult means that you have responsibilities, but also freedoms. If you want to have chocolate chip cookies for dinner, you have chocolate chip cookies for dinner at least once in a while.

OK, this is why I'm getting a divorce. In 7 years of marriage, I never ONCE got felt up or goosed while cooking.  :angry:

Oh dear! That's a moral imperative for a working marriage! When Becky stops molesting me while I'm cooking, I'll know to check her pulse!

Is it a bad sign that I'm also very protective of my cast-iron?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Being an adult means that you have responsibilities, but also freedoms.  If you want to have chocolate chip cookies for dinner, you have chocolate chip cookies for dinner at least once in a while.

I had ice cream for breakfast the other day. Cherry Garcia, to be exact.

Yep, I felt all grown up. It's great when the kids are gone and you no longer have to set an example.

:biggrin:

OK, this is why I'm getting a divorce. In 7 years of marriage, I never ONCE got felt up or goosed while cooking.  :angry:

Oh dear! That's a moral imperative for a working marriage! When Becky stops molesting me while I'm cooking, I'll know to check her pulse!

Is it a bad sign that I'm also very protective of my cast-iron?

Depends upon how well seasoned it is. Do you let her touch it?

jgm... I just bought a book that you need to stay away from!!! "Fancy Pantry" by Helen Witty... oh my god... you would never come out of your house!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I don't think someone who really appreciates cooking can really put a stop to doing it yourself on certain things. Cooking is your territory, your thing.

Ive always called it "my kitchen" and normally hover like a vulture if somebody is in there cooking, heck even getting a snack or drink. I have to make most everything when im cooking just because i am trying to broaden my horizons to all types of cooking. And when I find a new method I call it a success. For instance my Girlfriend wanted Chinese take out once but was only getting fried rice. "Thats it? shoot, I can make that for cheaper and way better tasting" So ended making the fried rice at home and Lo Mein, Peanut flavored Tofu and Noodle soup. Ok, an hour and 45 minutes later everything was done and they could have got there in 30 but the point is, anybody can just order food or buy it already made. Only the special talented few can make it. And just like at work, the better you are usually doesnt mean rewards, just more work.