• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Taste of Asia

Rosie

We had a most enjoyable dinner at A Taste of Asia recently. I forgot how much I enjoy the spices and flavors used in Malaysian cooking.

Started off with Soto Ayam a Malaysian chicken soup with a touch of citrusy spices and cold soft noodles tossed in a cold sesame sauce. I found the sauce on the noodles sweeter than what is used in the Chinese restaurants.

Chef Steven Chia sent over a Yee Sang aka lively fish salad that he will be serving on his Chinese New Years menu. This salad is served once a year and contains slivers of pear and apple, fried taro, carrots, radish, cilantro, candied wintermelon, candied ginger, dried persimmon, pickled leeks, jellyfish, crispy noodles, pummelo (a large citrus fruit), and tilapia fillets tossed with apricot sauce and crushed roasted peanuts. The salad is brought to the table with the ingredients in separate piles and everyone at the table takes their chopsticks and tosses the salad together to represent a healthy and sweet year.

For entrees we had the tofu Singapore which contained shredded tofu and julienne vegetables in a stir fried pepper sauce and beef with hot peppers in a black bean sauce.

Chef Chia also sent over crispy milk and a red bean dessert drink for desset. We loved the crispy milk which was crispy on the outside with a custard on the inside. The red bean soup is an acquired taste. He’ll be serving the special Chinese menu till 2/15. Phone: 973-701-8821. More info is here: http://www.njmonthly.com/rosie/rnews.html

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We haven't been to this place in a long time, I'm glad to hear the food is still good.

I think one of the reasons we stopped going was that we preferred the more authentic flavors at Penang, but we should probably give it another try.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We had a most enjoyable dinner at A Taste of Asia recently. I forgot how much I enjoy the spices and flavors used in Malaysian cooking.

Started off with Soto Ayam a Malaysian chicken soup with a touch of citrusy spices and cold soft noodles tossed in a cold sesame sauce. I found the sauce on the noodles sweeter than what is used in the Chinese restaurants.

Chef Steven Chia sent over a Yee Sang aka lively fish salad that he will be serving on his Chinese New Years menu. This salad is served once a year and contains slivers of pear and apple, fried taro, carrots, radish, cilantro, candied wintermelon, candied ginger, dried persimmon, pickled leeks, jellyfish, crispy noodles, pummelo (a large citrus fruit), and tilapia fillets tossed with apricot sauce and crushed roasted peanuts. The salad is brought to the table with the ingredients in separate piles and everyone at the table takes their chopsticks and tosses the salad together to represent a healthy  and sweet year.

For entrees we had the tofu Singapore which contained shredded tofu and julienne vegetables in a stir fried pepper sauce and beef with hot peppers in a black bean sauce.

Chef Chia also sent over crispy milk and a red bean dessert drink for desset. We loved the crispy milk which was crispy on the outside with a custard on the inside. The red bean soup is an acquired taste. He’ll be serving the special Chinese menu till 2/15. Phone: 973-701-8821. More info is here: http://www.njmonthly.com/rosie/rnews.html

Yes I've always like Taste of Asia as well. Now that I am working in Livingston it is a quicker trip. Thanks for the review.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Chef Steven Chia sent over a Yee Sang aka lively fish salad that he will be serving on his Chinese New Years menu. This salad is served once a year and contains slivers of pear and apple, fried taro, carrots, radish, cilantro, candied wintermelon, candied ginger, dried persimmon, pickled leeks, jellyfish, crispy noodles, pummelo (a large citrus fruit), and tilapia fillets tossed with apricot sauce and crushed roasted peanuts. The salad is brought to the table with the ingredients in separate piles and everyone at the table takes their chopsticks and tosses the salad together to represent a healthy  and sweet year.

By the way Rosie, did you bring a wine for your meal?

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

We loved their place in Montclair (which, sadly, is still vacant, but that's another story). One of these days gonna have to bite the bullet & haul selves over to Chatham.

Where is Penang?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

We loved their place in Montclair (which, sadly, is still vacant, but that's another story).  One of these days gonna have to bite the bullet & haul selves over to Chatham.

Where is Penang?

You might also want to try Pandan in Bloomfield.

Review

A simple place but very nice.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Thanks for the info & suggestions.

Bloomfield is closer to me than West East Hanover or Chatham, I will have to check out Pandan.

Still, I miss those appetizers that they whimsically call "top hats" at Taste of Asia.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thanks for the info & suggestions.

Bloomfield is closer to me than West East Hanover or Chatham, I will have to check out Pandan.

Still, I miss those appetizers  that they whimsically call "top hats" at Taste of Asia.

Oh yea, they are great.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy