• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that begin with the letter "p"

Khadija

Thanks so much for all the enthusiasm and great ideas, everyone!

Daniel, as a matter of fact, I ate poutine with this friend the other day. There was regret afterwards, but that comes with poutine territory.

I have settled on a rough menu. I think adding the "p" adjectives is a good idea, and I will work on that later this week. I have tried to choose things that aren't especially fussy to prepare.

Appetizer: Panelle with Parsley and Peppered Almonds (loosely based on a Mario Batali recipe)

Salad: Pear, snowPea, Pinenut, and Parmigano shavings on baby spinach (I make this often)

Main: Pork tenderloin with Pomegranate sauce, Pomegranate Seeds, and Pistachios

Parsnip Puree

Pak Choi

Dessert: Profiteroles with Poached Pears

I did a test run of the appetizer and main course tonight. The panelle went very well. I thought the pork was very good too. I chose tenderloin, because some people don't like fattier cuts :angry:. I just made sure that it came out bright pink.

The pomegranate sauce was good, the sourness offset the sweetness of the parsnip puree very well. My only concern is that the sauce was a bit one dimensional. It consisted of fresh rosemary, onion, a bit of garlic, white wine, chicken stock, pomegranate juice, and pomegranate molasses. The rosemary didn't really come through, which surprised me, because I usually find rosemary pretty strong. I'm thinking about either adding more rosemary or omitting the rosemary and putting in a spice or two. If anybody has suggestions about this, I'd be happy to hear them.

The pomegranate sauce was good, the sourness offset the sweetness of the parsnip puree very well.  My only concern is that the sauce was a bit one dimensional.  It consisted of fresh rosemary, onion, a bit of garlic, white wine, chicken stock, pomegranate juice, and pomegranate molasses.  The rosemary didn't really come through, which surprised me, because I usually find rosemary pretty strong.  I'm thinking about either adding more rosemary or omitting the rosemary and putting in a spice or two.  If anybody has suggestions about this, I'd be happy to hear them.

Yes, omit the rosemary. Consider add ing a whole clove or two (just for background, not to shout, and remove prior to serving) as a possible new dimension. I think a little clove might work very well with pomegranate.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Hi everyone.

The haPPy "P" themed birthday dinner was last night. It was a huge success, and I owe thanks to all of you for encouragement and great ideas.

We wound up having:

Panelle with Peppered-Almond Gremolata

Pear, Pinenut, and Parmesan Salad

Pea Pansotti

Pork tenderloin with Pomegranate Sauce, Pistachios, and Pomegranate seeds

on a bed of Parsnip Puree

with Pak Choi

Passionfruit Pavlova

As per rlibkind's suggestion, I used a bit of whole clove in the pomegranate glaze, as well as a bit of cinammon. I also brined the pork in a solution of water, salt, honey, clove, and cinnamon. The sauce was really delicious and the pistachios and pomegranate seeds really added a wonderful texture the dish.

I think writing a menu based on something kind of arbitrary in relation to food & cooking is quite interesting, because it really forces you to think of out of the ordinary ingredients and dishes. (I had never purchased a passionfruit before, but I will now!) I think it would be quite interesting to explore different letters!

There are pictures, taken by party guests, and I am still waiting for them to come my way. The guests loved the food and the theme!

I did tell everyone about the help I got from egullet. Many people kept saying "so, this is a recipe website?" My response, that egullet is far more than a "recipe website," a site that promotes knowledge, appreciation, and discussion of all things gastronomic, provoked some confused looks from some of my non-food-freak friends!