• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking Everyday Soy Sauce

scott123

Trader Joe's low sodium tamari has been my soy sauce of choice for a while now. For tamari, it seemed like a good deal. Lately, I've been considering whether or not I can get something better/cheaper at an Asian Grocer. Stench aside, my grocer of choice is Top Quality in Parsippany (formerly Maxim's).

What do you guys think? Any particular brands to look for? I'm not looking for top of the line, just a good everyday soy sauce. I'm also definitely NOT married to the low sodium concept (that's all TJs sells).

Pearl River Bridge is a good reliable brand. They make a whole range of soy sauces--light, dark, and I think a mushroom flavored one, and probably others as well. "Light" here refers to consistency and intensity of flavor, rather than a "lite" soy sauce with, say, less sodium or something--the light sauce is what you'd want for most cooking tasks, though I really love the rich flavor of dark soy sauce as a condiment in congee and such.

Edited to add: I should mention that these are Chinese soy sauces, so they have a different flavor profile from the Japanese ones.

Edited by mizducky (log)

My favorite is by far Kikkoman, but make sure you buy the Kikkoman soy that is made in Japan and not the stuff that is made in the US.

You should be able to find the plastic 1L bottles at any Asian market, their plain soy sauce is good but their tokusen marudaizu soy sauce is much better and more expensive. I would recommend either.

One hint is to read the label carefully and put it back on the shelf if it lists alcohol as an ingredient.

click here for a picture of kikkoman's soy sauces, regular and tokusen marudaizu (scroll down).

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

You have to be especially careful with buying Kikkoman in the US, as it is produced domestically here as well, including their "Marudaizu". The marudaizu produced in the US contains alcohol and is thinned down with wheat. If you want the real deal you have to go to stores like Mitsuwa which carry the genuine Japanese article. I'm not sure if Top Quality in Parsippany carries the real Japanese stuff. I know for sure Mitsuwa does, but you will pay a premium for it. I was able to get the Yamasa whole bean organic marudaizu for 8 bucks a 1L botttle there. Kam Man Food in East Hanover might have a better selection than Top Quality, and its a much better store overall.

I particularly like the Korean, whole bean soy sauces that are wheat and alcohol free. They are for the most part less expensive than their Japanese couterparts and just as good. I buy them at Han Ah Reum at either the Ridgefield or Little Ferry store. You want to look at the list of ingredients on these sauces and make sure that the only contents are soybeans and water. That's it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm so thrilled to read this info.. I've inquired several times in Asian restaurants on their brand of soy sauce and all of them tell me Kikkomans...........but what I get at restaurants is nothing like what I get at the grocery store. I've tried a couple types of kikkoman and several other brands, all to be dissapointed.

AH HA! Finally the answer.

Please tell me that the American bottled version is harsher/stronger? That's what I notice........